Oct 1, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM
It certainly wouldn’t make any sense for the Red Sox to stand in Epstein’s way if he does want to leave. Keeping a general manager who is anything less than 100 percent committed to the job would be foolish.
So, yeah, put the ball in Theo’s court. Let him talk to the Cubs and decide what he wants to do. But if he does decide he wants to be in Boston, he should be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.
Ben Cherington, the Red Sox’s co-GM with Jed Hoyer during Epstein’s brief departure in 2005, would be the obvious choice to replace Epstein now should he leave. Gammons is suggesting making Cherington the GM now and making Epstein and Larry Lucchino co-team presidents.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)