Oct 1, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM
It certainly wouldn’t make any sense for the Red Sox to stand in Epstein’s way if he does want to leave. Keeping a general manager who is anything less than 100 percent committed to the job would be foolish.
So, yeah, put the ball in Theo’s court. Let him talk to the Cubs and decide what he wants to do. But if he does decide he wants to be in Boston, he should be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.
Ben Cherington, the Red Sox’s co-GM with Jed Hoyer during Epstein’s brief departure in 2005, would be the obvious choice to replace Epstein now should he leave. Gammons is suggesting making Cherington the GM now and making Epstein and Larry Lucchino co-team presidents.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)