Oct 1, 2011, 7:25 PM EST
I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM
It certainly wouldn’t make any sense for the Red Sox to stand in Epstein’s way if he does want to leave. Keeping a general manager who is anything less than 100 percent committed to the job would be foolish.
So, yeah, put the ball in Theo’s court. Let him talk to the Cubs and decide what he wants to do. But if he does decide he wants to be in Boston, he should be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.
Ben Cherington, the Red Sox’s co-GM with Jed Hoyer during Epstein’s brief departure in 2005, would be the obvious choice to replace Epstein now should he leave. Gammons is suggesting making Cherington the GM now and making Epstein and Larry Lucchino co-team presidents.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)