Oct 1, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM
It certainly wouldn’t make any sense for the Red Sox to stand in Epstein’s way if he does want to leave. Keeping a general manager who is anything less than 100 percent committed to the job would be foolish.
So, yeah, put the ball in Theo’s court. Let him talk to the Cubs and decide what he wants to do. But if he does decide he wants to be in Boston, he should be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.
Ben Cherington, the Red Sox’s co-GM with Jed Hoyer during Epstein’s brief departure in 2005, would be the obvious choice to replace Epstein now should he leave. Gammons is suggesting making Cherington the GM now and making Epstein and Larry Lucchino co-team presidents.
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)