Oct 1, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM
It certainly wouldn’t make any sense for the Red Sox to stand in Epstein’s way if he does want to leave. Keeping a general manager who is anything less than 100 percent committed to the job would be foolish.
So, yeah, put the ball in Theo’s court. Let him talk to the Cubs and decide what he wants to do. But if he does decide he wants to be in Boston, he should be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.
Ben Cherington, the Red Sox’s co-GM with Jed Hoyer during Epstein’s brief departure in 2005, would be the obvious choice to replace Epstein now should he leave. Gammons is suggesting making Cherington the GM now and making Epstein and Larry Lucchino co-team presidents.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)