Quote of the Day: Lance Berkman on Phillies fans

Oct 2, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT

berkman getty Getty Images

The Phillies handled the Cardinals with a decisive 11-6 victory in Game 1 of the NLDS Saturday at Citizens Bank Park. But not before veteran slugger Lance Berkman gave St. Louis an early 3-0 lead with a first-inning three-run homer to deep right field.

That shot seemed to stun the fans in the stadium, who were expecting Roy Halladay to dominate throughout. Then Ryan Howard answered with his own three-run blast, Raul Ibanez slugged a two-run homer, and the atmosphere at Citizens Bank Park quickly changed from hushed to hysterical.

Berkman caught the brunt of that collective enthusiasm in the bottom of the eighth inning. With the Phillies continuing to pour on runs, fans in the outfield stands began slowly chanting, “Berk-man, Berk-man.”

And here’s Lance’s response, via Frank Fitzpatrick of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

“They were chanting my name,” Berkman told reporters, “but I don’t know why. My name is on the back of my uniform. So it’s nice to know they can read.”

The Phillies lead the five-game series 1-0. Game 2 will get underway Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. ET.

1. spudchukar - Oct 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Still like Lance a Lot.

• kiwicricket - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I see what you did there.

2. Drew Silva - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM

My first attempt at trolling Phillies fans here on HBT. I hope it goes smoothly! Craig is taking notes.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Come on, Drew. I applaud your halfhearted attempt at baiting here, though it isn’t your first attempt—remember a few weeks ago? You still have a lot of work to do to catch the Master Baiter named Craig Calcaterra.

3. hank10 - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM

meh.

4. rahra - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM

It was actually quite funny. When the fans started chanting his name, he cupped his glove around his ear to acknowledge that he heard them. I thought that was very well-played. Of course, I probably wouldn’t have been nearly as amused had the score not been what it was.

5. jeffbbf - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

In Wrigley Field bleachers several years ago, fans were merciless on Kal Daniels of the Dodgers in left field. His reaction? Between pitches, he faced the fans and flexed his biceps, then gave the 2 arm “gorilla” flex, and later on, facing home plate, got into the ready position, reached his free hand under his rear and gave us the finger. We were all cracking up and having a great time. By the 5th inning, we were all cheering him, and he was saluting us. Good for Berkman for having a little fun with the fans.

6. halladayslabia - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I was at the game,sitting in the section that was chanting. A friend and I suggested to all the other Phightins Phans that we should organize, and collectively chant Berkman’s name. After we explained what organize and collectively meant, everybody was on board. It was awesome. It got off to a rough start though. Many Phillies fans can read, but not the majority. Some were chanting “Rasmuss”, some “Holliday”, and some of the old timers even chanted “Lankford”. A few Met converts were chanting “Larry” for some reason.

After I explained to a few worried people that we weren’t antagonizing Roy Halladay, but instead Matt Holliday, they got on board. I had to point out to all the Phillies Phans around me that Holliday wasnt even in the lineup. Most couldn’t read, so I showed them pictures of Matt Holliday and pictures of Lance Berkman. They finally realized the had been antagonizing the wrong guy. It took us 8 innings to finally get it right, but with the help of pictures, us Philly fans got him good. Berrrkk Mannnn. Ha Ha. It was hilarious.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Or be a douchebag like this troll.

• halladayslabia - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

You think I’m a troll? You should have seen some of the women at the game? I’m pretty sure I bought a beer from Benito Santiago in a blonde wig.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I don’t like your jerk off posts
        I don’t like your jerk off name
        and I don’t like you…jerk off.

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I think it’s hilarious.

• Clinton Manitoba - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I see you are channeling your inner halladaysbiceps

• dailyrev - Oct 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Those phans might have been somewhat more intelligent than you imagined: they could have been recalling how they mocked Lincecum’s hairdo last year as he continued to shut down their team.

• bigleagues - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Whatya mean, Phils Phans can’t read? I know lots of Phils Phans and everyone of them can read the following words:

beer
      cheesesteak
      rocky
      birds
      bell

As you would imagine, very few of them recognizes the word “championship” or even what it means.

They do have a nice ballpark though. I’ve been there a couple of times.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Berkman is a good guy. No harm there in what he said. It was a pretty good joke and the fact that the Phillies dismantled them won’t create much animosity towards Berkman. It’s not like he was a jack ass and said something asinine like “They threw snowballs at Santa so only chanting my name is really no big deal”

Drew, I believe it is YOU that needs to take notes from the master-baiter himself… :D

8. Gordon - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

At least the Phillies fans didn’t vomit on him. That’s progress, right?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM

See, Drew…THIS is how you bait Phillies fans. Nice one, Gordon.

• Drew Silva - Oct 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I’m still learning.

• Old Gator - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I think Craig is running an online 101 course in baiting horsemeat and Velveeta™heads through Phoenix University this weenter. That should accelerate your learning process exponentially.

9. stevedeans - Oct 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Last time they were in town the right field fans were chanting his name and he dropped a foul ball that he should have had.

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Like that little girl with down syndrome who threw her dad’s foul ball back?

10. kandh2004 - Oct 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I think it’s funny that he said we can read. Berkman is a good player the homer showed that but I want to let him know that we are also good at counting see:

Phillies 11
    Cards 6
    Also:
    Phillies 1
    Cards 0

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

57-0

That’s Mike Vicks record against dogs.

• bleedgreen - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Does Mike Vick play for the Phillies or the Cards? I didn’t see him in either line up last night.

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

The article is not about the Phillies. It is about the Philly fans. I was simply pointing out whom they also cheer for, and purchase jerseys of.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Actually, it’s about Phillies Phans, not Philly fans. There’s a difference.

• bigleagues - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:16 AM

One of my closest friends was born and bred in Philly, huge Eagles fan. I’m a Giants fan and it pains me to have listened to her gloat over regular season Wins against the G-men.

Anywho, since Vick joined the birds she has been far more toned down in her boasting. In fact I’ve heard nary a peep.

I realize Vick has a right to make a living, and I even argued that amongst friends – but its hard to reconcile when he plays for your lifelong favorite team and you happen to be a dog lover.

Vick has had some bad moments since he was reinstated, but because the politics of his rehabilitation they have swept them under the rug.

I don’t believe that Vick feels any differently about dogs or any animals for that matter. But I do believe he has learned how to play “the game“.

11. southofheaven81 - Oct 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM

HA!!!! Burn!!

12. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Doing a Phillies-Cardinals live blog tonight, so I am taking notes.

• Drew Silva - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM

(Everybody act cool)

• Jonny 5 - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Hey guys, Ya know, I can still remember the days like it was just 5 years ago when my rooting interest didn’t make it into the playoffs. Ohhh wait, it HAS been 5 years since they didn’t make it, that’s right. Silly me.. Sorry, that might be a touchy subject for you two, maybe worse for Drew who probably won’t see his Mets in the postseason until around 2021…..

I think I like this “baiting” you speak of.. ;)

• Drew Silva - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I’m no Mets fan. Pond scum.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Jonny, DJ is the Mutts fan. Drew is the Nick Punto fan.

• Drew Silva - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Word.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Ohhhhhhh. Sorry about insulting you in such a manner Drew. I deserve the name calling equivalent of “Mets fan” you tossed back at me.

13. Jonny 5 - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Ahhh, what an evening. Berkman can say what he will, If that makes him feel better.

Clifton won’t take his jawing lightly I’m afraid though, he may need to strike his a$$ out in a humiliating fashion tonight…… ;)

14. cur68 - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Something happen while I was gone? my comments and a good portion of the other comments are gone. Something I said?

• cur68 - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Ahhh, wrong thread. All these St. Louis guys look the same to me…

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Good one, Seisenta.

15. brianbowman16 - Oct 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

wow Chris got a little upset at halladayslabia today.
    i wonder if it stems from a blind date gone horribly horribly wrong….

16. stlducks - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Why do Philly fans always have to talk about how bad the Mets are? I like hating on the Mets to just I do it when the topic actually revolves around them. Philly fans just bring it up for no reason, noone ever brings up the fact the phillies have more losses than just about any other franchise in the history of baseball.

• gmogoody - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Lets see here

Phillies founded in 1883 and the mets were founded in 1962.

The phillies have been playing ball 80 more years then the mets. By the way the Braves are also at 10,0000 losses. The teams have just been around that long. The phillies have had bad droughts over the years but rubbing the number of losses is not always fair since they are one of the original teams

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM

A commenter mistakenly mentioning the poster was a Mutts fan. That’s what it was. A mistake calling the guy who comes out and says that he’s trying to bait Phillies Phans a Mets fan. You are the only other one who brought up the Mets. And the 10,000 losses is most certainly brought up. By the way, the Cards will be there in a few years, too, so there’s that.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Thanks UT, that’s exactly what happened actually. I made up for it though. :P

• ditto65 - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM

What does Utah have to do with this? Oh – never mind…

• gmogoody - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Winning percentage of some of the older teams over their histories

Phillies – .473
      Mets – .480 – just thrown in for comparison
      Braves – .504
      Cubs – .513
      Cardinals – .518
      Pirates – .504
      Reds – .508

17. dsmaxsucks - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Only one of them can read.

18. stlducks - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM

thank you gmo for posting that, just to prove the cards are the best nl franchise

• gmogoody - Oct 2, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I would not call them the best but they are up there

Giants – .538
      Dodgers – I am sure they are up there too but I cannot find this one

• flapjack3285 - Oct 2, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Dodgers – .524 (3rd)

19. kandh2004 - Oct 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Who care about winning percentage or the # 10,000 every sport is about NOW not then. At the end of the year they don’t give trophies for best winning percentage

20. anebriated - Oct 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

fun fact: the Phillies lost their 10,000th game to the Cardinals the season prior to starting their string of postseason appearances. Also, the entire stadium was rooting for the Cardinals after about the 5th inning when it was apparent we would not win. We just wanted to see history made even if it wasnt in a glamorous category.

21. cardshave10 - Oct 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I don’t wanna be a jerk since Philly typically has the market cornered on that but it’s refreshing to see you’re so proud of your team and you brag so well. Your guys did a great job buying the best team money can buy. But it’s a shame you been around over a hundred years with only 2 rings to claim! When you get 10come back and start bragging. Have a nice life.

22. macjacmccoy - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Actually the Fans started gettting loud in the bottom of the 4th after Roy Halladay shut down the Cardinals 9th batter in a row and the Phillies came up to bat. It steadily built from there when Utley n Pence got on in the 5th and then when Freese dropped the inning ending pop in fail territory followed by a Victorino rbi , the atmoshere just erupted when Howard hit the go ahead run. its not lie it was silent before then, actually fans started cheering and clamping for Halladay during the at bat of the last player he faced in the 1st inning after giving up the 3 run shot to Juiceman, I mean Roidsman, no thats not rights, hold on let me get out my 12th grade Philadelphia public school “ABC’s learning how to read” Workout book. oh ok its aaaaaa…. Bbb , Baa , Baaa errr , Baaerrrr , Berrr , Berroids , wait lets start again, its Berr , Ber kka , Berrrkkaa , Berrkka Ma , Berkkama , Berkkama anne , Berrkammaanee , Berka maanne , Berkkamanne , Berkaman , Berkman!!!!

I DID IT! And I didnt even need any of Barry’s little helpers.

23. macjacmccoy - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Is that a moon on your face or are you just happy to be here?

24. macjacmccoy - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Come on Lance the Juice will set you free.

• macjacmccoy - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I mean truth.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3370)