Oct 2, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Game 1’s 27-hour rain delay threw a hitch into the Yankees’ and Tigers’ rotation plans for the ALDS.
On Sunday morning, we got a bit of clarity.
According to beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees manager Joe Girardi revealed in his pre-game press conference Sunday that staff ace CC Sabathia will indeed start Game 3 and A.J. Burnett will take the mound in a potential Game 4.
Ivan Nova will return for Game 5, if needed.
Sabathia pitched two innings of Game 1 Friday before the rain began pouring at Yankee Stadium, allowing one earned run but fanning four batters without issuing a walk. He had a 3.00 regular-season ERA.
Burnett posted a 5.15 ERA and 1.43 WHIP across 190 1/3 innings during the regular season. He has a 5.67 career ERA in the playoffs and allowed five earned runs over six innings in last year’s ALCS vs. the Rangers.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)