Oct 2, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Game 1’s 27-hour rain delay threw a hitch into the Yankees’ and Tigers’ rotation plans for the ALDS.
On Sunday morning, we got a bit of clarity.
According to beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees manager Joe Girardi revealed in his pre-game press conference Sunday that staff ace CC Sabathia will indeed start Game 3 and A.J. Burnett will take the mound in a potential Game 4.
Ivan Nova will return for Game 5, if needed.
Sabathia pitched two innings of Game 1 Friday before the rain began pouring at Yankee Stadium, allowing one earned run but fanning four batters without issuing a walk. He had a 3.00 regular-season ERA.
Burnett posted a 5.15 ERA and 1.43 WHIP across 190 1/3 innings during the regular season. He has a 5.67 career ERA in the playoffs and allowed five earned runs over six innings in last year’s ALCS vs. the Rangers.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)