Oct 2, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Game 1′s 27-hour rain delay threw a hitch into the Yankees’ and Tigers’ rotation plans for the ALDS.
On Sunday morning, we got a bit of clarity.
According to beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees manager Joe Girardi revealed in his pre-game press conference Sunday that staff ace CC Sabathia will indeed start Game 3 and A.J. Burnett will take the mound in a potential Game 4.
Ivan Nova will return for Game 5, if needed.
Sabathia pitched two innings of Game 1 Friday before the rain began pouring at Yankee Stadium, allowing one earned run but fanning four batters without issuing a walk. He had a 3.00 regular-season ERA.
Burnett posted a 5.15 ERA and 1.43 WHIP across 190 1/3 innings during the regular season. He has a 5.67 career ERA in the playoffs and allowed five earned runs over six innings in last year’s ALCS vs. the Rangers.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)