Yankees suspend beerman for taunting Red Sox pitcher

Oct 2, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

BESTPIX Detroit Tigers v New York Yankees - Game 1 Getty Images

If it could even be considered a taunt.

The New York Post reports that Steve Lazarus, who has been serving beer at Yankee Stadiums for 35 years, was suspended for the first two games of the ALDS as the result of an exchange with former Yankee and current Red Sox pitcher Alfredo Aceves.

According to Lazarus, the vendor was with co-workers near a freight elevator when he spotted Aceves, started walking over and called out “Hey, you got ID?”

Aceves responded by grabbing his crotch and saying “I got your ID right here.”

Lazarus says it was a playful exchange that led to laughter all around, but that Yankees brass got wind of it and he was summoned by his supervisor during the game and escorted from the ballpark for harrassing a player.

“They take my badge — this is only my 35th year, by the way — and they escort  me out like a common criminal,” he told The Post. “To suspend me, when I did nothing?”

Although Lazarus is fuming, it doesn’t sound like he’s interested in walking away. He’ll be eligible to return if there’s a Game 5 in the ALDS or if the Yankees advance.

1. cur68 - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Ahh, some things don’t change. Usual Yankees tin ear for nuance and humor. Did they ask Aceves if he felt ‘harassed’?

2. presidentmiraflores - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Thank goodness such abusive behavior is not tolerated. To think of the trauma inflicted on Mr. Aceves! The poor man will scarcely grab his crotch without thinking of this vicious episode, maybe for the rest of his days.

Let us all reflect on this sad day when we are in a position to taunt a player of a divisional rival. Donning a baseball uniform DOES NOT forfeit one’s humanity!

3. royalsfaninfargo - Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM

This may be the lamest thing of the season! Poor Alfredo!

• 1historian - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

anal alfredo, if he is the one who reported the “incident”

just another reason to hate the yankees and laugh at the red sox, whose owner, John Henry just moved into his brand new $10,000,000 home in Brookline

• Old Gator - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM

The Borg brass has its head up its ass. Front page news!

• Glenn - Oct 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM

How dare a common man address a millionaire at all. He should not have been permitted to make eye contact. I’m just glad that his life and his family’s life was spared.

4. hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Beerman is lucky to still have a job. 35 days or 35 years on the job, he is a representative of his organization, and if he intentionally broke company rules, I feel no sympathy for him.

In college, I worked at a country club in Tallahassee Fl. Gov Jeb Bush played there, as well as many other well known public figures. We were instructed, “under no circumstances, are you to mention politics or your political views. Do your job, and do not make him uncomfortable. He is a guest, and does not want to interact with you. If you want to interact with our guests, do not do it at the club”

Our rules were easy to understand and easy to follow. So were beerman’s. Red Sox, Rays, Braves, Brewer, it doesn’t matter who was playing. A player went to a restricted area, and he had a freaking beer vendor chase him down to taunt him. The beer vendor was told not to interact with the players. Beer vendor disobeyed a direct order. He has clearance to areas that fans do not. When he left the stands, and entered the restricted area, it should have been a business like atmosphere. He isn’t a fan, he is a company representative harassing guests of the organization. He is lucky to have a job.

• 1historian - Oct 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

you can NOT be serious,

but of course you are.

I’d be interested in knowing how the yankee brass got wind of it.

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Probably from the player. He is harassed in the airport, in the hotel, at restaurants, in the bullpen, but he does not expect to be harassed by employees in a restricted area. What gives this guy the right to, while wearing a badge that gets him into private areas that only players and staff are allowed in, chase down a competitor and harass him? Especially when you he was specifically told not to.

“I asked to see his identification”
        Aceves is from Mexico. I can’t help but think the conversation was more along the lines of “ehhh yous, lemme see ya green card”

• Bryz - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Working for the Twins, I have been told that I’m not allowed to talk to players unless it’s a quick “Have a good day/night,” “Great game today,” etc. and we’re not even supposed to chase after them. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the beer man is lucky to still have his job, but I’m sure that’s why he was suspended. Not because he “taunted” Aceves but because he went out of his way to talk to a player, and said something that wasn’t under the umbrella of acceptable things to say to players.

• Old Gator - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM

An umbrella with bats hanging from the crosswires that get to shit on the employees, from the sound of it.

• Glenn - Oct 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I also worked at a very exclusive club for the very wealthy. Hittfamily is entirely right. And like it or not, the gap between the wealthy and the rest of us is widening. At least during the Great Depression, the very wealthy had the good sense to be nervous. Now they know that we are too busy watching reality TV to notice.

5. nickynick04 - Oct 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM

…” Hittfamily “…..I can tell you do not have many male friends….
    He harrassed the player ? Give me a break.
    It was a joke, ” lighten up Francis ”
    And Screw Jeb Bush…protection from comments when you are a blood sucking political figure while at a country club,,,,let the war monger / election stealing puke come to my social organization and believe he is protected from comment…..

• hittfamily - Oct 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I have plenty of male friends. I also have read more than sports blogs, and know the difference between George and Jeb.

Aside from that, I agree with your take on the Bush family.

If he came to my social organization, I would have some choice words for him too. However, he wasnt at my social organization, he was at his social organization, where I was employed. I followed company rules, and it was easy to do. You are treating the situation like they are buddies, and they aren’t. They were both working, and the beer vendor is much further down on the totem pole. I hate to get elitist, but you have to know who you can and can’t rib in life, especially if you are specifically told not to. I can’t rib my superiors. Joe Wilson can rib (call the president a liar in a joint address to congress) and keep his job. If a congressional page did the same thing, the page would be unemployed, and rightly so.

• paperlions - Oct 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM

People that don’t follow the rules of their jobs and never get punished for it:

Every politician.

Every police officer.

Every CEO of every multimillion dollar company.

The list is long…but yeah, we should hold the sacred “beer man” to a higher standard, I guess.

6. offseasonblues - Oct 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM

“Beer Man should have followed the rules, and known his role in life, and not bothered the talent.”

Having watched and thoroughly enjoyed Alfredo Aceves for a full season, the idea that he would be bothered by much of anything he didn’t want to be bothered by seems pretty absurd. I look forward to Aceves Act II.

And anyone playing in Act 35 should be give a little slack. But of course we already know the Yankees suck ;)

7. 3kittymama - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Well, well, well, the Yankees show their complete lack of class once again. The beer vendors are required to ask for ID, and I am sure Steve Lazarus knew exactly who Aceves was, and was kidding around. To suspend someone who has given 35 YEARS of their life to an organization for something this stupid is reprehensible. Then again, we ARE dealing with the Yankee organization. Nobody was hurt, and if Aceves can’t take a joke, scr*w him. He certainly isn’t a name player that anyone would recognize, and it sounds to me like he’s trying to make himself sound way more important than he is. Diva.

8. 24missed - Oct 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM

RS fan here. This is a really one-sided report.

Lazarus says that everyone roared with laughter? By everyone, does he just mean his co-workers or does he include Aceves? Did Lazarus say anything else or just what he shared in the article?

Is the first time the guy has gotten himself in the hot seat?

And who says that Aceves brought this to the Yankee’s attention?

Honestly, the story could be exactly the way Lazarus told it. Aceves could have immediately gone to Lazarus’ boss and complained. The truth of this is that Lazarus turned something that he did not feel was offensive into a sports story that has landed in the NY Post and in Boston media. I’m sure that doesn’t sit well.

9. jdandcoke - Oct 3, 2011 at 5:39 PM

im glad beerman didnt lose his job…..but also laughing at the fact that he payed for being a clown. the dude is a also stand-up comic….he has to remember that yankee stadium isnt the Laugh Factory.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3038)