Oct 2, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
If it could even be considered a taunt.
The New York Post reports that Steve Lazarus, who has been serving beer at Yankee Stadiums for 35 years, was suspended for the first two games of the ALDS as the result of an exchange with former Yankee and current Red Sox pitcher Alfredo Aceves.
According to Lazarus, the vendor was with co-workers near a freight elevator when he spotted Aceves, started walking over and called out “Hey, you got ID?”
Aceves responded by grabbing his crotch and saying “I got your ID right here.”
Lazarus says it was a playful exchange that led to laughter all around, but that Yankees brass got wind of it and he was summoned by his supervisor during the game and escorted from the ballpark for harrassing a player.
“They take my badge — this is only my 35th year, by the way — and they escort me out like a common criminal,” he told The Post. “To suspend me, when I did nothing?”
Although Lazarus is fuming, it doesn’t sound like he’s interested in walking away. He’ll be eligible to return if there’s a Game 5 in the ALDS or if the Yankees advance.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)