Oct 3, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 3 of the Yankees-Tigers series:
NEW YORK YANKEES DETROIT TIGERS 1. Derek Jeter, SS 1. Austin Jackson, CF 2. Curtis Granderson, CF 2. Ramon Santiago, 2B 3. Robinson Cano, 2B 3. Delmon Young, LF 4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B 4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 5. Mark Teixeira, 1B 5. Victor Martinez, DH 6. Nick Swisher, RF 6. Magglio Ordonez, RF 7. Jorge Posada, DH 7. Jhonny Peralta, SS 8. Russell Martin, C 8. Alex Avila, C 9. Brett Gardner, LF 9. Brandon Inge, 3B SP CC Sabathia, LHP SP Justin Verlander, RHP
This is the same pitching matchup as Game 1 (initially, at least), but the two managers have taken different approaches the second time around.
Joe Girardi went with an identical lineup versus Justin Verlander, which includes Jorge Posada over Jesus Montero at designated hitter.
Jim Leyland changed things up a bit compared to his Game 1 lineup versus CC Sabathia, swapping out Ryan Raburn for Ramon Santiago at second base, moving Magglio Ordonez from No. 2 to No. 6, and moving Alex Avila from No. 6 to No. 8. Santiago is 7-for-24 (.292) off Sabathia during his career, but a) his .625 OPS against the southpaw is nothing special, and b) apparently that track record didn’t mean as much heading into Game 1 in Leyland’s mind.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)