Oct 3, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
When he wasn’t busy taking shots at Jose Reyes and tweeting about how the fans at last night’s game weren’t loud enough Jimmy Rollins told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he won’t accept a “hometown discount” to remain with the Phillies after this season.
Rollins has spent his entire professional career with the Phillies after they picked him in the second round of the 1996 draft, but will be eligible for free agency this winter following a six-year, $46.5 million contract.
When asked about possibly of using the postseason to increase his free agent stock, Rollins replied:
If that happens, that happens. I mean, it can help some, but I am who I am, postseason, regular season, regardless. When free agency comes about, people are going to pay you for what your numbers reflect, not just for a three-week snapshot.
That’s a refreshing take considering all the media members who focus on how single-game performances from players in October supposedly “made him millions” or “cost him millions.”
Zolecki reports that Rollins “would like a five-year contract, although it seems unlikely the Phillies would offer him that.” In his MVP-winning 2007 season Rollins played all 162 games and hit .296 with an .875 OPS. In the four seasons since then he’s missed 126 games and hit .261 with a .737 OPS. Toss in the fact that he’ll be 33 years old next month and a five-year commitment would be incredibly risky for any team.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)