Oct 3, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
When he wasn’t busy taking shots at Jose Reyes and tweeting about how the fans at last night’s game weren’t loud enough Jimmy Rollins told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he won’t accept a “hometown discount” to remain with the Phillies after this season.
Rollins has spent his entire professional career with the Phillies after they picked him in the second round of the 1996 draft, but will be eligible for free agency this winter following a six-year, $46.5 million contract.
When asked about possibly of using the postseason to increase his free agent stock, Rollins replied:
If that happens, that happens. I mean, it can help some, but I am who I am, postseason, regular season, regardless. When free agency comes about, people are going to pay you for what your numbers reflect, not just for a three-week snapshot.
That’s a refreshing take considering all the media members who focus on how single-game performances from players in October supposedly “made him millions” or “cost him millions.”
Zolecki reports that Rollins “would like a five-year contract, although it seems unlikely the Phillies would offer him that.” In his MVP-winning 2007 season Rollins played all 162 games and hit .296 with an .875 OPS. In the four seasons since then he’s missed 126 games and hit .261 with a .737 OPS. Toss in the fact that he’ll be 33 years old next month and a five-year commitment would be incredibly risky for any team.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)