Oct 3, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
When he wasn’t busy taking shots at Jose Reyes and tweeting about how the fans at last night’s game weren’t loud enough Jimmy Rollins told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he won’t accept a “hometown discount” to remain with the Phillies after this season.
Rollins has spent his entire professional career with the Phillies after they picked him in the second round of the 1996 draft, but will be eligible for free agency this winter following a six-year, $46.5 million contract.
When asked about possibly of using the postseason to increase his free agent stock, Rollins replied:
If that happens, that happens. I mean, it can help some, but I am who I am, postseason, regular season, regardless. When free agency comes about, people are going to pay you for what your numbers reflect, not just for a three-week snapshot.
That’s a refreshing take considering all the media members who focus on how single-game performances from players in October supposedly “made him millions” or “cost him millions.”
Zolecki reports that Rollins “would like a five-year contract, although it seems unlikely the Phillies would offer him that.” In his MVP-winning 2007 season Rollins played all 162 games and hit .296 with an .875 OPS. In the four seasons since then he’s missed 126 games and hit .261 with a .737 OPS. Toss in the fact that he’ll be 33 years old next month and a five-year commitment would be incredibly risky for any team.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)