Jimmy Rollins would like the Philly crowd to be a bit louder

Oct 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

I’ve been told by several people, with absolute certainty, that Phillies fans are the best in the world, so I was rather confused when Jimmy Rollins took to Twitter last night and made the following observation:

source:

I dunno. It’s hard to tell from TV, but the crowd seemed to be into it well enough in the first few innings. Getting shut down by a bullpen that had no business shutting anyone down like it did will sap even the craziest fan.  I mean, take this guy for example:

source:

Three hours before that pic was taken I have it on good authority that he was smiling and saying “go team!’

Ugly, joy-killing games happen, Jimmy. Part of life and baseball. Especially when they come as the result of 17 double-switches and all of that.  I don’t think you’d get any different response from anyone else.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I couldn’t disagree with Jimmy more about this. The crowd was loud when it needed to be loud. In the 9th, they started loud, but the at bats they had against Motte were just plain horrible and I was not surprised that they couldn’t get up. The way they batted against Motte, I thought maybe Mariano Rivera was out there. I think he threw about 3 balls over the plate.

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I don’t think it helps that he keeps telling reporters he wants a 5 year deal and ain’t giving hometown discounts. That kind of thing does not endear you to fans :)

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Yes! Sitting in 50 some degree rainy weather where your team pisses away a 4 run lead will have that effect on you, on a late Sunday night game. People have work in the morning Jimmy, and you guys lost. What do you expect?

4. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I blame LaRussa. He sucks the life out of the game.

• kellyb9 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, I thought him whining about the strike zone was a little much. There wasn’t only two different strike zones, there was about 10 in my opinion. I’m fine with that win or lose, as long as its consistently bad.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:57 AM

According to the blue box in the bottom of the screen, Meals was pretty good most of the night. There wasn’t a reason for LaRussa to complain. The only egregious call was the 3-2 SO of Utley.

• b7p19 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM

So the only egregious call was the one that went against the Phillies? Shocking…

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’m not sure what you mean by that? Assuming the blue box was accurate and giving lee way for the corners, yes that was the only truly terrible call. The calls LaRussa was whining about were strikes. The pitch that Albert got all uppity about wasn’t even on the corner, it was entirely on the plate. Another guy whined about a ball that cut right down the middle. I’m not sure your point. I didn’t say that Meals cost the Phillies the game or anything, because clearly he didn’t.

• cur68 - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

That call was the worst. I’m no Philly homer; all this amuses me, but no way do I want to see a competitive game hosed by an obvious missed call like that. The over all strike zone was actually pretty good; I don’t know what everyone was complaining about, TLR especially. However that one call was egregious; ball was over the opposite batters box and collar bone high. Meals made really only that one big glaring mistake, but man did he pick a sucky time to do it.

• scatterbrian - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM

No manager can tell if a pitch is inside or outside from the dugout, and we as fans can’t tell from the off-center angle from centerfield.

As for the blue box, do they adjust it for each batter, or is it just a guide that sits there all game? For example, Rollins and Howard don’t have the same strike zone, so does the box get adjusted to fit each player?

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Actually, the blue box is changed for each batter. I saw it shrink/expand a couple times depending on the batter. I don’t take it as gospel, but I think it is reasonably accurate.

• bigleagues - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I agree about watching on TV and accurately seeing whats inside & outside. The CF camera positioning is different in every park – and I don’t think there is a single one that is dead center behind the Pitcher’s mound.That’s why I look forward to the occasions where they have that Home plate cam that features an angle a little higher than the ump. Thats one of the few you can get a fairly accurate look at the strike zone.

The blue box utilizes Pitch F/X technology.

Pitch F/X uses 20+ special cameras from all sorts of angles to track a pitch from windup to release – recording things like speed at release, trajectory, break, and velocity through the strike zone.

I’ve sat with the MLB Gameday Pitch F/X watching a game and I’ll trust it over an umpire.

5. gldfngr38 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Why does everyone think our bullpen is so terrible we can’t get these AMAZING phillies out? I realize we sucked the big one at the beginning of the season but during the past month (and really since the Rasmus deal) the bullpen’s been pretty darn effective.

PS: I wish i had any ability to work Baseball-Reference.com to back this up with those things called “statistics” but we’re going straight hyperbole. After all, it IS the playoffs!

• paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM

By pretty much any measure, the Cardinal bullpen on the year was middle of the road…thankfully Miller and Franklin are gone. If the Cardinal lefty relievers can step up and if LaRussa can remember not to let either of them face righties (because they both suck at getting them out), and if he doesn’t let Dotel face any lefties, the pen should be fine. I am disappointed that Sanchez didn’t make the roster. He’s healthy now and has better stuff than everyone except Motte.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I will remind you this same bullpen coughed up 5 runs in game 1. So they can get the job done but they can also stink. ;)

…“statistics” but we’re going straight hyperbole.

Calling the Phillies AMAZING is not hyperbole, it’s just a fact. Ask any Phillies fan :D

• Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Ask CUR68 how the Cards bullpen got so much better. I’d bet a big sack of coin he knows….

6. kellyb9 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Not sure what he’s talking about, I was cheering…. for Charlie Manuel to take Cliff Lee out before the 7th. Cliff Lee didn’t have it yesterday, not sure why Chuck sent him back out there.

7. mox19380 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I was there saturday and it did seem like the crowd was rallying for the team even when down 3-0 from the 1st inning on. But it’s a big difference when you watch the bats go quiet for 8 innings and your pitcher blow a 4 run lead. That would sap that spirits of most

8. rohrk21 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:29 AM

“He later tweeted, in response to someone defending the fans, that “This is the playoffs & they’re at game 4 [of] the regular season””

Just a quick note: you do realize he made that tweet in response to someone saying that the Eagles lost, too, and when Rollins says “they’re at game 4″, he’s talking about the Eagles, not the fans, right?

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I think you’re misreading that. Translating, I took it as Rollins saying “Phillies baseball fans aren’t loud enough” Tweeter saying “well, they were sad because of the Eagles too” and Rollins basically saying “who cares about the Eagles? Fans should be loud for the playoffs; the Eagles are only in Game 4 of the regular season and we’re in the playoffs, so they shouldn’t impact how the fans cheer for us.”

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM

In that, I have to credit Rollins some brownie points… maybe an option year. a cheap option year… with a very cheap buyout…

• protectthishouse54 - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Rollins should know by now that Philly will always care more about the Eagles than the Phillies. Just the way it is… playoffs or not.

• scatterbrian - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I am so sick of cities and fanbases that prefer regular season football to freaking playoff baseball. I hope Frank McCourt buys your football team and he hires Matt Millen.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I’m so sick of people who take the opinion of one person and blanket it across an entire city/ fan base. PLENTY of Phillies fans could even care less about football. Actually I spent the day with my family and didn’t even care enough to watch the Eagles.

• scatterbrian - Oct 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I’m referring to an overall ongoing trend, not the opinion of one person. Football encroaches on playoff baseball every year and it sucks. The fact that someone would rather watch a regular season football game than a playoff baseball game is beyond me…

• mox19380 - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM

protectthis house clearly hasn’t walked around philly the last 3 years. It’s a sea of red. People own multiple Phillies jerseys, t-shirts, etc. They’re hyper critical of the eagles and forgiving, almost to a fault, of Phillies…

Rollins needs to make sure he keeps fans on his side. Obviously if he is a beast he is going to get a contract but as a .265 hitter fan support is going to be a big big factor in his resigning.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Actually any regular season football is not worthy to derail me from watching regular season baseball either. It’s just not for me I guess..

9. bigleagues - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM

In still a later Tweet he stated his wish that Phillies Phans chant: Pay Jim-mee! Pay Jim-mee!

10. Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Well, I guess next time he gets picked of stealing in such a crucial moment he should be BOOOOOED very loudly…. LOL…

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Maybe THAT’S the noise he was expecting: “Damn man I got picked off and I didn’t even get booed? Don’t you people care about me anymore?!?!?”

• Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

You may be onto something….. Scratching goatee….

11. Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Craig had just slid down his pole, once again donning his Braves Bathrobe (if with a little less than it’s usual luster), took his bubble pipe from his pocket and puffed a few when his large 70″ LED screen lit up and Gleeman’s face appeared:

“Just to confirm Craig, are you ok with the live chat assignments for the rest of the series?”, asked Aaaron.

“Sure thing, Phillies-Cardinals all the way. It’s win-win. Either I get to sneer at LaRussa or at Phillies fans. I’m in postseason heaven.”

“You know Craig, some folks would say you have a sadistic streak… that you’re really into enjoying all that taunting of Phillies fans.”

Craig bit his pipe and chuckled. “Of course not. Sometimes they’re annoying, but it’s healthy baseball snark and fun all the way. Baiting is just a way of making fun of their overreactions or over the top silliness they sometimes exhibit. It’s not like I’m evil or something like that.”

Aaron had a chuckle as well. “I know what you mean, well talk to you later!”

The display turned off and Craig paused a moment, looking to his left and then to his right. He pressed a button on his high chair, and the screen changed once more to a shot of a very sad Phillies fan, a moment captured by TBS.

“Yes! Yesss!! Oh, let me taste your tears… Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness!” he crowed softly.

12. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Jimmy is right. The place sounded dead last night…even as earlier as the 4th. According to people who were there, it was pretty lifeless as well. People were leaving early and not paying attention. Had nothing to do with the outcome of the game or anything but interesting none the less.

13. schmedley69 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I was at the game on Saturday night. The crowd was great to start the game, but of course the Berkman 3 Run HR put people on edge. Once it became clear that Doc had settled down, the crowd really got back into it and once the Phillies finally scored the place was rocking again. Then the Howard and Ibanez homers put the place into a complete frenzy, and it pretty much stayed that way the rest of the game. It was an electric atmosphere for the most part.

I wasn’t at last night’s game, but I think there were probably a lot of factors at work. First, the Eagles completely collapsed and lost a game that they should have won, which had to take a heavy toll on a lot of fans (the Eagles season is pretty much on life supprt). Second, it was Sunday night, and let’s face it, Sunday night sucks, with a whole week of work ahead. Combine those factors with the Cliff Lee collapse and the lack of hits after the second inning, and it’s not hard to see why people weren’t jumping out of their seats.

I’ll tell you what though, I’m getting pretty sick of Jimmy Rollins’ act. The guy is a heck of a fielder, but his offensive game has really fallen off year after year. Couple that with his frequent injuries and his trademark lack of hustle (I was at a game this year where Shane Victorino almost passed him on the bases), and maybe it’s time to let Jimmy walk. He’ll be 33 next year, and my guess is that his numbers will continue to steadily decline.

Let him go play for the Nats and he can see what it’s like to play in front of a dead crowd night after night.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka