Oct 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Put your pitchforks down, because Valverde wasn’t taunting or being provocative. He was just being Jose Valverde, which we are coming to learn is a thing. Half joking, half wishful thinking, but generally not caring.
Still, he did say it, and it’s rather fun to see someone eschew the “we gotta play ‘em one game at a time” card:
“It’s over for the Yankees. No more. One hundred percent. I want it over, because I want my team in the second round.” … “Is this a prediction, or your hope?” Valverde was asked by a reporter. Valverde reached out and good-naturedly put his hand on the shoulder of the reporter and said, “What do you think?”
It sounded more like a man blowing off some happy steam after a tough save in which he threw more pitches than he’s used to throwing.
Although, I suppose I’d be less inclined to take that as a joke if he said it following a Tigers’ victory tonight because A.J. Burnett would have to start the elimination game for the Yankees tomorrow in such an event. God, that has to happen. For the love of all that is holy, that has to happen.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)