Jose Valverde: “It’s over for the Yankees”

Oct 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Jose Valverde AP

Put your pitchforks down, because Valverde wasn’t taunting or being provocative. He was just being Jose Valverde, which we are coming to learn is a thing. Half joking, half wishful thinking, but generally not caring.

Still, he did say it, and it’s rather fun to see someone eschew the “we gotta play ‘em one game at a time” card:

“It’s over for the Yankees. No more. One hundred percent. I want it over, because I want my team in the second round.” … “Is this a prediction, or your hope?” Valverde was asked by a reporter. Valverde reached out and good-naturedly put his hand on the shoulder of the reporter and said, “What do you think?”

It sounded more like a man blowing off some happy steam after a tough save in which he threw more pitches than he’s used to throwing.

Although, I suppose I’d be less inclined to take that as a joke if he said it following a Tigers’ victory tonight because A.J. Burnett would have to start the elimination game for the Yankees tomorrow in such an event.  God, that has to happen.  For the love of all that is holy, that has to happen.

1. sacharisma - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM

This worked out VERY well for Jimmy Rollins in 2009.

Although he’d have to say after they lost that they were still the better team to complete The Rollins.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Hey Jimmy was correct. He felt the series would end in 5, 6 if they were nice. And the Phillies were nice enough to win two games so the series ended in 6 games.

2. ogre2010 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I love the swagger now it’s time to back it up on the diamond!!

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM

If they do finish off the Yankees will he dance a Samba on the mound? I sure hope so…

• Old Gator - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is there precedent for spiking a baseball?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Beating the team with 27 rings should be the best excuse I think….. But I’d rather see him dance. Now that’s entertainment!

• natstowngreg - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Precedents are made to be set. Or something like that.

No doubt, Bud would frown even more than usual, and Valverde would get a fatherly visit from Joe Torre.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM

what craig left out is that this guy later said he was just joking, odd how that part got left out. But even if he wasnt id have to agree with Verlander going in game 3 and who would trust AJ in game 4? I know i certainly wouldnt

• proudlycanadian - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Valverde has to pitch better than he did last night. He almost blew the game.

• Old Gator - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Eh. He would have been out of it a batter sooner if Avila hadn’t fallen on his ass chasing that popup.

5. leokitty - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’d consider the AJ start to be more of a disaster if Porcello–who is just as bad this year with the same peaks and valleys–wasn’t starting for the other team.

6. protectthishouse54 - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I never wish injury on anyone, but a little part of me would love to see this clown roll an ankle during his stupid little save dance.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If you look at the pros and cons of this series as it stands right now, there is almost no reason to think the Yankees have a chance to win.

Verlander is going in game 3 and he was supposed to be lights-out.

AJ Burnett is going in game 4 and he is supposed to suck very very badly.

And yet, for some reason, I think the Yankees will win the next two games. Could it be me trying to trick myself with reverse psychology? And if so, then wouldn’t be reverse-reverse psychology since I know about it in advance? And if that’s the case, then wouldn’t….

ah the hell with it…I’m just going to enjoy the shit out of the next two games of this series.

• Kevin S. - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Maybe it’s because you know CC is as good as Verlander and Porcello is as bad as AJ?

• paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Sorry, CC is NOT as good as Verlander….however, the lineup he is facing is not as deep either….so it is pretty much a 50/50 proposition.

• Kevin S. - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Why isn’t he? Does Verlander get credit for pitching in Comerica? Or are you going to argue that this year he suddenly figured out how to let balls in play fall in for hits at a far less pace while CC magically forgot?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Technically, Verlander has started 3 games against the Yanks this year. The Tigers are 0-3 in those games.

[sorry if this is a triple post, damn net]

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Per Sky Kalkman:
        Of all 43 AL pitchers with 160+ IP, Verlander faced third-easiest set of hitters. Sabathia 5th toughest.

8. meaz23 - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM

valverde is an a$$hole. Check his papers.

9. bchaz19 - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I’d say Valverde needs to shut his mouth before he gives the Yanks something to rally around. I’m a Tigers fan, but I wouldn’t want to hear this kind of garbage if they were leading the series 2-1, in the top of the 9th with the score 10-0 Tigers w/ 2 outs and nobody on & Jeter coming to the plate against Verlander.at Comerica Park.

Anything can happen at any time. SO stupid.

• Kevin S. - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM

If the Yankees need smack talk to rally around, then they’ve got sone pretty big issues.

10. pisano - Oct 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM

If I were Valverde I wouldn’t be overly confident, and besides he doesn’t appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Speaking of shedding, Valverde should think about shedding that fat stomach he has , he looks like he’s been drinking too much beer. He reminds me of a swayback horse, I’m just sayin.

11. camanda13 - Oct 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Hey Jose, Verlander wasn’t exactly lights-out. And it looks like game 4 is not going your way tonight. Might be time to get the lard out of your head before spouting off. It seems to adversely affect your prognosticating powers.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3230)