Oct 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Put your pitchforks down, because Valverde wasn’t taunting or being provocative. He was just being Jose Valverde, which we are coming to learn is a thing. Half joking, half wishful thinking, but generally not caring.
Still, he did say it, and it’s rather fun to see someone eschew the “we gotta play ‘em one game at a time” card:
“It’s over for the Yankees. No more. One hundred percent. I want it over, because I want my team in the second round.” … “Is this a prediction, or your hope?” Valverde was asked by a reporter. Valverde reached out and good-naturedly put his hand on the shoulder of the reporter and said, “What do you think?”
It sounded more like a man blowing off some happy steam after a tough save in which he threw more pitches than he’s used to throwing.
Although, I suppose I’d be less inclined to take that as a joke if he said it following a Tigers’ victory tonight because A.J. Burnett would have to start the elimination game for the Yankees tomorrow in such an event. God, that has to happen. For the love of all that is holy, that has to happen.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
High-spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are among the favorites to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, but the Rays are also interested even if it’s fair to call them a long shot.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:21 PM EST
Beachy is currently 10 months removed from the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:02 PM EST
Cotts compiled a 2.84 ERA in 131 appearances with the Rangers over the past two seasons.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:04 PM EST
Billingsley hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery in April of 2013.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Add another name to the list of fifth starter candidates for the Braves.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:42 PM EST
Nava requested $2.25 million and the Red Sox countered at $1.3 million.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
I guess it’s better than snakes. Or wasps.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Santiago spent last season with the Reds, hitting .246 with a .667 OPS in 75 games.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
Belisario was awful for the White Sox last season, allowing 46 runs in 66 innings.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
This is funny. But also insightful.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Does this man look like he’d be a friend of a guy like Pete Carroll? Welp, he is.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
He’ll work with union chief Tony Clark.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
We can, from now and forever, refer to Werth as the “The Nationals’ ex-con right fielder.”
Jan 29, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Brad Pitt was too young to portray him, though. Maybe Kevin Kline could’ve?
Jan 29, 2015, 11:22 AM EST
Good luck, Devin.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:39 AM EST
Kris Bryant of the Cubs tops the list.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Francisco Rodriguez? Rafael Soriano?
Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 AM EST
He’s gonna get big pushback from the LOOGY union, but is the idea a good one?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:09 AM EST
Baseball should never fear innovation. But not all new rules are, by definition, innovation.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:58 AM EST
A glimpse into the future, you guys.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)