Oct 3, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
While struggling to stay healthy and productive in the second half Kevin Youkilis indicated that he was headed for offseason sports hernia surgery and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that he’ll likely go under the knife Tuesday.
According to Bradford there’s still some chance Youkilis could decide against surgery if a last-minute examination by doctors convinces them of non-surgical options, but he’s expected to have the operation and won’t be cleared to resume physical activities for 4-6 weeks.
Youkilis hit .285 with a .911 OPS in the first half, but then batted just .199 after the All-Star break and played just 10 of the final 40 games.
He sat out the final two weeks as the Red Sox collapsed down the stretch and likely would have been unavailable for the playoffs had they hung onto the Wild Card lead.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)