Oct 3, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
While struggling to stay healthy and productive in the second half Kevin Youkilis indicated that he was headed for offseason sports hernia surgery and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that he’ll likely go under the knife Tuesday.
According to Bradford there’s still some chance Youkilis could decide against surgery if a last-minute examination by doctors convinces them of non-surgical options, but he’s expected to have the operation and won’t be cleared to resume physical activities for 4-6 weeks.
Youkilis hit .285 with a .911 OPS in the first half, but then batted just .199 after the All-Star break and played just 10 of the final 40 games.
He sat out the final two weeks as the Red Sox collapsed down the stretch and likely would have been unavailable for the playoffs had they hung onto the Wild Card lead.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 15
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)