Oct 3, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
While struggling to stay healthy and productive in the second half Kevin Youkilis indicated that he was headed for offseason sports hernia surgery and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that he’ll likely go under the knife Tuesday.
According to Bradford there’s still some chance Youkilis could decide against surgery if a last-minute examination by doctors convinces them of non-surgical options, but he’s expected to have the operation and won’t be cleared to resume physical activities for 4-6 weeks.
Youkilis hit .285 with a .911 OPS in the first half, but then batted just .199 after the All-Star break and played just 10 of the final 40 games.
He sat out the final two weeks as the Red Sox collapsed down the stretch and likely would have been unavailable for the playoffs had they hung onto the Wild Card lead.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)