Oct 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Last week there was considerable to-do over a report that the Red Sox drank beer in the clubhouse on their off-days. Kind of a silly to-do as far as I’m concerned because, hey, they’re grown men and there was no suggestion that there was any kind of alcohol abuse or anything like that. If Sox pitchers cracked a couple of coldies while at the office, well, they wouldn’t be the first.
But the story seems to have legs insofar as it’s part of some general narrative people are discussing in the wake of Terry Francona’s departure about the Red Sox’ clubhouse chemistry, and questions about the beer continue to be asked. Like I said, the questions seem kind of pointless to me, but the answers sure can be fun. Here’s Kevin Youkilis’ answer in a story over at the Boston Globe:
The Red Sox third baseman wouldn’t say whether or not there was a beer-filled cooler in the locker room.
“I mean, that’s another thing too, that’s… I don’t know if that’s been out there, that’s in the media, what we have and what we don’t have,” Youkilis said. “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say if there is or there isn’t.”
That’s my boy! They’ll never break Youk! He’s not gonna flip on anyone, I tells ya!
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL