Oct 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Last week there was considerable to-do over a report that the Red Sox drank beer in the clubhouse on their off-days. Kind of a silly to-do as far as I’m concerned because, hey, they’re grown men and there was no suggestion that there was any kind of alcohol abuse or anything like that. If Sox pitchers cracked a couple of coldies while at the office, well, they wouldn’t be the first.
But the story seems to have legs insofar as it’s part of some general narrative people are discussing in the wake of Terry Francona’s departure about the Red Sox’ clubhouse chemistry, and questions about the beer continue to be asked. Like I said, the questions seem kind of pointless to me, but the answers sure can be fun. Here’s Kevin Youkilis’ answer in a story over at the Boston Globe:
The Red Sox third baseman wouldn’t say whether or not there was a beer-filled cooler in the locker room.
“I mean, that’s another thing too, that’s… I don’t know if that’s been out there, that’s in the media, what we have and what we don’t have,” Youkilis said. “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say if there is or there isn’t.”
That’s my boy! They’ll never break Youk! He’s not gonna flip on anyone, I tells ya!
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 20
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 143
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23