Oct 3, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Last week there was considerable to-do over a report that the Red Sox drank beer in the clubhouse on their off-days. Kind of a silly to-do as far as I’m concerned because, hey, they’re grown men and there was no suggestion that there was any kind of alcohol abuse or anything like that. If Sox pitchers cracked a couple of coldies while at the office, well, they wouldn’t be the first.
But the story seems to have legs insofar as it’s part of some general narrative people are discussing in the wake of Terry Francona’s departure about the Red Sox’ clubhouse chemistry, and questions about the beer continue to be asked. Like I said, the questions seem kind of pointless to me, but the answers sure can be fun. Here’s Kevin Youkilis’ answer in a story over at the Boston Globe:
The Red Sox third baseman wouldn’t say whether or not there was a beer-filled cooler in the locker room.
“I mean, that’s another thing too, that’s… I don’t know if that’s been out there, that’s in the media, what we have and what we don’t have,” Youkilis said. “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say if there is or there isn’t.”
That’s my boy! They’ll never break Youk! He’s not gonna flip on anyone, I tells ya!
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)