Oct 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Joe Maddon revealed yesterday that Kyle Farnsworth had “a little bit of a setback” with his elbow injury and likely would have been unavailable to pitch Saturday had the Rays needed a late lead closed out.
Instead they lost 8-6 and it was a moot point, but Farnsworth’s status remains up in the air with an injury that has bothered him since early September.
Maddon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that the Rays are hopeful Farnsworth could be available for today’s Game 3 in Tampa Bay, but added: “As we continue to move this forward, I just have to be careful with him.”
Not exactly encouraging words regarding a closer whose dependability in the playoffs would have been questioned healthy or not, so don’t be surprised if Maddon bypasses Farnsworth in favor of Joel Peralta or Wade Davis if the Rays take a small lead into the ninth inning.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)