Oct 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Joe Maddon revealed yesterday that Kyle Farnsworth had “a little bit of a setback” with his elbow injury and likely would have been unavailable to pitch Saturday had the Rays needed a late lead closed out.
Instead they lost 8-6 and it was a moot point, but Farnsworth’s status remains up in the air with an injury that has bothered him since early September.
Maddon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that the Rays are hopeful Farnsworth could be available for today’s Game 3 in Tampa Bay, but added: “As we continue to move this forward, I just have to be careful with him.”
Not exactly encouraging words regarding a closer whose dependability in the playoffs would have been questioned healthy or not, so don’t be surprised if Maddon bypasses Farnsworth in favor of Joel Peralta or Wade Davis if the Rays take a small lead into the ninth inning.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)