Oct 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
As the Cardinals return to St. Louis following last night’s series-evening comeback win Matt Holliday will have his hand injury examined by doctors after being on the bench for the first two games against the Phillies.
Holliday was able to appear as a pinch-hitter in Game 1, but struck out on three pitches and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that his chances of starting the final three games of the NLDS “appears to be diminishing rather than progressing as the club hoped when it placed him on the playoff roster.”
Strauss writes that manager Tony La Russa delayed posting the Game 2 lineup in the hopes Holliday could play, but he wasn’t able to take batting practice and “nagging issues with tendon at the base of his right middle finger are worsening.”
Removing him from the roster is an option that would allow the Cardinals to add another player for the remainder of the series, but doing so would also make Holliday ineligible for the NLDS if they advance. In the meantime Strauss reports that Holliday refused a cortisone injection because he thought it would make him unavailable for multiple days anyway.
Allen Craig will continue to fill in for Holliday, which is a pretty nice luxury for the Cardinals to have.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 7
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 15
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)