New York in a nutshell

Oct 3, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

New York Yankees' Robinson Cano reacts after striking out against the Detroit Tigers in Game 2 of their MLB American League Division Series baseball playoffs in New York

On Saturday Robinson Cano was the Game 1 ALDS hero.  In the wake of that, columns were written pumping him up to demigod status.

On Sunday, Cano came up to bat in the ninth with the tying runs on base and grounded to second.  He gets this the next morning:

source:

Good or bad, that’s pretty much life for a New York ballplayer.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM

And the problem is? There was nothing inaccurate about what was written there. It’s not like they said he choked. He failed in the clutch and they reported it. Sorry, not seeing anything wrong with that at all, Craig. I am sure there was much worse written somewhere by someone about the Yankees loss……….

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Oh yeah….you could have looked on your own blog yesterday for something more ridiculous…

• seanmk - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM

i’d actually argue that’s not ridiculous, he’s injured, and the numbers speak for themselves small sample or not: “He hit .191/.345/.353 with three homers in 68 at-bats after coming off the disabled list in August. He finished the season 6-for-32 with one homer in nine games after returning from a thumb injury.” I guess going by that reasoning you’d like polanco to be batting higher in the lineup even though he’s not as effective.

• Bill - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, that’s not the same thing at all. A-Rod clearly isn’t right, and that’s not just based on one or two games.

Yeah, I suppose you could say that it’s technically accurate that Cano “failed in the clutch.” But that’s synonymous with saying “he choked,” and in a game where all the hitters failed multiple times, that’s not a headline unless you’re trying to make a goat out of the guy.

• kopy - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM

And I still hate when fans and sportswriters alike say a player “choked” when they did something routine. Unless Cano’s lifetime OBP is above .500, he’s more likely to end the game than reach base. I would prefer if the term “choke” was used for when a player fails to do something in the clutch that they usually do successfully, like make a routine defensive play, or the whole team fails to drive in a runner from 3rd with no outs.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Sean and Bill…move him to 8th? Really? Come on.

• Bill - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM

It’s not like he pulled that out of thin air, Chris. It was a reference (as the word “again” suggests). http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET200610070.shtml
        And they’re even playing the Tigers again! Perfectly reasonable headline for an article addressing the obvious fact that A-Rod doesn’t have any business batting fifth for an elite offense right now. Not at all the same thing as trying to place the blame for a full-team-effort loss on the previous day’s hero.

• Bill - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM

or fourth, even…

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Matt’s piece was trolling for Yankees fans…I know the history of when A-Rod was batted 8th by Torre and EVERYBODY pretty much killed Torre for doing that to the future hall of famer. Why is suggesting it now any different? And how is writing that article after a Yankees loss not putting the blame on A-Rod batting 4th for the loss? And how is that any different than saying that Cano was partially to blame?

Tell me where I am wrong here because I am pretty confused by the psyche of the Yankees fan I guess.

• Bill - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:22 AM

“OK, so the writer of that article said Cano was the sole reason they lost? From what I can see above, it just says he had a chance to win the game for the Yankees and he did not.”

It’s the HEADLINE. In a game in which the Yankees were no-hit for five innings, among other things, they decided to lead with Cano’s routine groundout. I just can’t imagine this is really that hard for you to understand.

“EVERYBODY pretty much killed Torre for doing that to the future hall of famer. Why is suggesting it now any different?”
        Because when Torre did it, A-Rod was probably the second-best player in baseball, and when Pouliot wrote it, he was (by rWAR) the eleventh best player on the Yankees?

“And how is writing that article after a Yankees loss not putting the blame on A-Rod batting 4th for the loss? And how is that any different than saying that Cano was partially to blame?”
        Because it wasn’t the game story in a local newspaper, it was a short blog post devoted entirely to the idea that maybe A-Rod should be moved down in the order. (I also don’t think it was written after the game, but during it.) The HBT “game story,” with a much more even-handed focus, is right here: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/02/max-scherzer-dazzles-as-tigers-tie-alds-with-yankees/

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Ok, you win and I lose. The article above is clearly blaming the entire loss on Cano and Matt’s posting is clearly right that A-Rod should be batting 8th. That’s what you are saying, right?

• Bill - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying, if you completely ignore all those things I say. Fun talk.

Incidentally, if you actually go to the NY Post and read the game story (which I wouldn’t under any circumstances recommend), it really *does* pretty much blame the whole thing on Cano. The last line is “But yesterday, he wasn’t quite good enough.”

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I didn’t read the story, mostly because Craig didn’t link to it. But if they blame the loss on Cano, then that is stupid. He could have won it for them, but he certainly isn’t the reason they lost.

And I don’t disagree that A-Rod could be moved down…but my beef was to 8th??? That was all. Nothing more than that. To me, writing that headline was ridiculous. And he wasn’t kidding either…he wrote that posting saying that A-Rod should be hitting 8th. No snark. No sarcasm. Just straight reporting. A-Rod hitting 8th is as ridiculous as blaming Cano for the loss in game 2. That was all I was trying to say.

2. kinggeorge96 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM

It’s funny, baseball players actually do fail every once in a while… quite often actually! People seem to forget that… all well!

Anyways, onto more pressing matters:

You need to check the basement Craig.. I think Tiffany got out. And not only did she get out, but she ran to CBS to give me my sports this morning. I would’ve gotten dressed or at least brushed my teeth already if I realized I was going to see her that early in the morning!

3. bklynbaseball - Oct 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

You all do realize that most knowledgeable sports fans in New York do NOT read the New York Post, right?? You do realize that headlines in newspapers are more about the little twerps in each headline creation office trying to ‘out-sensationalize’ each other, don’t you?? You all do realize that very few people in New York City take the New York Post seriously, right??? I’m just sayin’……..

4. Matt Aromando - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I watched this game, noted that the announcers didn’t point out when Jeter struck out two batters earlier and dismissed Granderson as a legitimate threat saying Cano was the person the Tigers were afraid of (as if they Yankees aren’t stacked with hitters).

The media has a very selective memory…

5. jwbiii - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Will Jeter get the same treatment for whiffing with the go ahead run on base?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5129)