Oh good: A.J. Pierzynski to be a part of Fox’s World Series coverage

Oct 3, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

Pierzynski_A.J.

Sometimes I wonder if Fox is involved in a grand experiment to drive baseball fans into insanity. The latest reason: they’re going to announce today that A.J. Pierzynski will part of their World Series coverage, helping host the studio shows with Chris Rose and Eric Karros.

Maybe he’ll be good. I don’t know.  But with Pierzynski, you’re starting with a player that fans around the game widely loathe and who was recently named other players’ least-favorite player in all of baseball.  I suppose a sports broadcast could be improved with a heel, but it strikes me that people should, you know, like the people who bring the baseball into their living rooms each night.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Who in the hell watches the studio shows anyway?

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM

So people do watch the studio show? Why do you guys watch the pregame studio show? Serious question by the way. I don’t watch it because I don’t care what guys like Chris Rose and Eric Karros have to say about what has happened and what they think might happen.

2. purnellmeagrejr - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I don’t know much about this guy either but the fact that he is disliked by the other players is actually a plus – means we’ll hear less stuff like “We’ll just have to take it one game – one pitch at at time” “He’s good in the clubhouse” “A real team player” and all the other assorted bromides that pass for commentary.

3. bcopus - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Maybe they’ll go old school WWF this year. Reminiscent of the Brotherly Love show.

4. kopy - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I don’t know, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I’m not a Pierzynski fan at all, but if he’s entertaining and offers insight of a unique point of view instead of spouting cliches, it will be a refreshing change.

• kopy - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM

*insight and a

5. Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I suppose a sports broadcast could be improved with a heel

It will make the other guys look good by comparison.

6. kander013 - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Fox baseball coverage has a lot bigger problems than adding AJ-how about Chris Rose and Joe Buck?

7. Lukehart80 - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM

“It strikes me that people should, you know, like the people who bring the baseball into their living rooms each night.”

Fox has never followed this philosophy before, why start now?

8. adenzeno - Oct 3, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I hope he is nicer to the studion guys tahn he was to SF newspaperman(if what I read is true…)

• adenzeno - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM

OK -THAT was some BAD typing- My apologies

9. cur68 - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM

People watch Howard Stern do stuff. They’ll tune in for AJ out of much the same ethos. Lowest common denominator and all that.

10. aaronmoreno - Oct 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hope they got an 8 second delay on the broadcast.

11. contraryguy - Oct 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM

checking the byline to see whether Michael Barrett ghost-wrote this one. ‘widely loathe’, really? That’s ascribing an awful lot of presumed attention on a second-tier catcher.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS