Oct 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EST
Let the search begin.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Red Sox will “consider” Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin among “a field of candidates” for their managerial vacancy.
Mackanin, who has been with the Phillies since the 2009 season, previously served as an interim manager with the Pirates in 2005 and the Reds in 2007.
Jon Heyman mentioned Mackanin among potential managerial candidates in a column for SI.com earlier today, though not specifically in connection with the Red Sox.
While high-profile names like Bobby Valentine and Joe Torre have been ruled out for the job, Heyman hears that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is targeting two “surprise” candidates without previous managerial experience in the big leagues. Mackanin does have previous managerial experience in the majors, though not in an official capacity. Heyman also mentions Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and Nationals third base coach as potential managerial candidates this winter.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)