Oct 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
Let the search begin.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Red Sox will “consider” Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin among “a field of candidates” for their managerial vacancy.
Mackanin, who has been with the Phillies since the 2009 season, previously served as an interim manager with the Pirates in 2005 and the Reds in 2007.
Jon Heyman mentioned Mackanin among potential managerial candidates in a column for SI.com earlier today, though not specifically in connection with the Red Sox.
While high-profile names like Bobby Valentine and Joe Torre have been ruled out for the job, Heyman hears that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is targeting two “surprise” candidates without previous managerial experience in the big leagues. Mackanin does have previous managerial experience in the majors, though not in an official capacity. Heyman also mentions Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and Nationals third base coach as potential managerial candidates this winter.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)