Report: Red Sox to consider Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin for manager

Oct 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EST

Pete Mackanin Getty

Let the search begin.

Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Red Sox will “consider” Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin among “a field of candidates” for their managerial vacancy.

Mackanin, who has been with the Phillies since the 2009 season, previously served as an interim manager with the Pirates in 2005 and the Reds in 2007.

Jon Heyman mentioned Mackanin among potential managerial candidates in a column for SI.com earlier today, though not specifically in connection with the Red Sox.

While high-profile names like Bobby Valentine and Joe Torre have been ruled out for the job, Heyman hears that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is targeting two “surprise” candidates without previous managerial experience in the big leagues.┬áMackanin does have previous managerial experience in the majors, though not in an official capacity. Heyman also mentions Rays bench coach Dave Martinez and Nationals third base coach as potential managerial candidates this winter.

1. tashkalucy - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM

The Red Sox lead the league in rumors…..for over half a century.

Good to see “Buster” Heyman on his toes.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Whoever they bring in can’t have as bad a resume as Tito did before the Red Sox hired him and it seemed to work out OK.

3. halladaysbiceps - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM

The Sox could do a lot worse. Pete Mackanin is a good baseball man and is respected a great deal in the Phillies clubhouse. I would hate to see him go, but to manage a MLB team, it’s an opportunity he will not pass on, especially the Red Sox.

4. phillyphever - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I wonder if Ryno becomes the bench coach if Pete leaves for the Red Sox.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Great point. Didn’t even think about that until you mentioned. Yeah, I think that could be a strong possibility. And I would like it.

• Old Phaithful - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I like Pete, but wouldn’t mind the move at all.

• mox19380 - Oct 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I’ve been hoping Ryno doesn’t get asked to interview for the Red Sox job. I think the Phillies can only sit on him for so long before another team gives him a shot to manage their big league club

5. paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I would love to see what LaRussa can do with the Red Sox.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Bat the pitcher 8th?

• paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I was thinking more like NOT bat the Cardinals pitcher 8th, NOT make multiple unnecessary double switches for the Cardinals, NOT carry 13 pitchers on the Cardinals roster…..but yeah, you are on the right track.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I think the pressure of not doing double switches would cause Tony to spontaneously combust in the dugout.

• paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Oh, I am all for him doing as many double switches as his dog-rescuing heart desires….for the Red Sox.

• cur68 - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:14 PM

C’mon ‘lions, he out managed Cholly last night. Surely we can give him his due for that?

• Old Phaithful - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM

@cur68: No. No, we can’t.

• paperlions - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM

The Cardinals won, yes….but how do you get to LaRussa out managing anyone from what happened? He used every single guy in the bullpen in part because he decided to start a 36 yr old pitcher on 3 days rest…..something the 36 yr old had never done in his career. If anything, LaRussa created a situation that required an extra-ordinary performance by the bull pen and a ton of hits against Cliff Lee to bail him out so that the Cardinals didn’t start the series 0-2….this after deciding that using their 4th best pitcher in game 1 was a good idea

• poprox13 - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I wouldnt……

6. stlducks - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

why all this hatred for TLR? Players are there to be used, you dont let guys sit onthe bench to get rest in the playoffs. If you have an advantage you use it, even if it means you have to bring in 5 pitchers.

Lohse in game 1 was smart bc Carp couldnt go and you want Garcia at home so Lohse is the next up.

7. brownsbraves11 - Oct 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I guess the Nationals 3rd base coach doesn’t have a name.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 4, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Isn’t it Bo Porter? His name has popped up recently I believe. I know it isn’t mentioned in the article and that is why you said that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5473)
  2. M. Kemp (3176)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2949)
  4. C. McGehee (2949)