Oct 3, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that Theo Epstein is truly on the fence about leaving Boston, with one source close to Epstein saying that it’s 50-50 Epstein would take another job.
It’s all rather touchy-feely, of course. Epstein may want to go to find a new challenge, but he feels a loyalty to the organization and has a year left on his deal. Meanwhile, owner John Henry loves Theo and seems to want him to stay but, according to Edes “there also is the sense that the loyalty Epstein feels toward Henry is reciprocal, and that Henry would not stand in the way if Epstein wanted to pursue another opportunity.”
So if he goes, where does he go? Everyone talks about the Cubs, but the Angels job just opened up too, Edes reminds us. As for a Theo replacement, Edes’ sources believe strongly that assistant GM Ben Cherington would get the nod.
How does this resolve itself? It seems that a job offer will set things in motion, not a firing of or a resignation by Epstein. He’ll leave if he can find a job he likes. If not, he’s back.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)