Oct 4, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The first thing you’ll read in any story about tonight’s Yankees-Tigers game is that the Yankees are throwing out A.J. Burnett in an elimination game. And yes, that is far from ideal given how unreliable Burnett has been since arriving in New York. He wouldn’t have gotten a start absent last Friday night’s rain, and a couple of less-than-disastrous outings in September aren’t really enough to instill confidence. Yankees fans can say they are hoping for a nice showing, but they won’t bet too much on the proposition.
But at the same time, let us not overlook the fact that Burnett isn’t the only shaky guy in tonight’s game. The Tigers are running out Rick Porcello who, in the past two seasons, has himself been pretty awful, posting an ERA+ of 85 in 2010 and 86 this year, which is pretty A.J. Burnettian himself. While Burnett can often run hot-and-cold in a single game (usually early and later, respectively) Porcello runs hot and cold by month, it seems, with his lackluster ERA the result of a couple of disaster months (June and August).
I guess the point is that given the anxiety A.J. Burnett has instilled in the Yankee Universe these past couple of years, yes, the talk of impending doom for tonight’s game is justified. But let’s not pretend that it’s just the Yankees relying on a wobbly starter in a big playoff game. Porcello is no one’s idea of an ace, and the Yankees’ slumbering bats could very well get to him. As such, it’s about the best circumstances under which one can run old A.J. out there.
All of that said, if you rock a pic like this in your Facebook profile or whatever today, you had best not be complaining if Burnett lays an egg tonight, OK?
(pic via reader Mike W. on Facebook, though I have no idea who created it)
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)