Oct 4, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
18-year-old Dustin Kellogg, a 34th-round pick of the Astros in the 2011 draft, was killed late Monday in a collision outside Houston, the Texas Department of Public Safety reported.
Kellogg, driving a pickup truck, was killed in his hometown of Conroe when he collided head-on with a Wal-Mart 18-wheeler. The DPS said the freight truck driver was not injured in the crash. Kellogg was pronounced dead at the scene.
“He was a promising young right-hander who made it definitely known he wanted to go out and pitch for his hometown team,” Astros assistant GM Bobby Heck said Tuesday.
Kellogg was 1-1 with a 4.26 ERA in 6 1/3 innings for the GCL Astros in his pro debut.
“We are deeply saddened by the news of Dustin’s passing,” GM Ed Wade said. “Although he had only been an Astros player for a short time, we share the pain of his family. Our prayers go out to Dustin’s loved ones.”
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1