Placido Polanco “definitely” still bothered by sports hernia

Oct 4, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Placido Polanco went 0-for-8 with three strikeouts in the first two games against the Cardinals and also looked somewhat limited defensively at times, with manager Charlie Manuel admitting yesterday that the third baseman’s sports hernia may still be affecting him.

“I think it bothers him some,” Manuel told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. “He’s missed time because of it, and I think it plays a part in his movement and things. He gets real tight and sore, and I think it definitely bothers him.”

Even before beginning the playoffs with eight hitless at-bats Polanco batted just .243 with a .591 OPS in 96 games following a big April, but he was reasonably productive after returning from the disabled list in late August, hitting .282 with a .682 OPS in 33 games. It seems pretty clear that he’s playing through the pain at less than 100 percent, but that doesn’t preclude him from still being the Phillies’ best option.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yeah, Polanco needs to be key tonight, especially since he’s right handed. We need him to get some hits tonight, along with Pence, Mayberry Jr. and Chooch. What the right handers do in this lineup tonight will be key against Garcia.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM

You left Victorino out, he’s a switch hitter but absolutely kills on the right side of the plate, he’s got a 1.000+ OPS against Left handers.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:29 PM

The only reason that I left Victorino and Rollins out is because they are switch hitters. I was only referring to the pure right handed hitters in the lineup. But, yeah, Victorino needs to break out of his funk, especially batting behind Howard. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Charlie batted Mayberry Jr. 5th tonight, given Victorino’s struggles.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Jimmy, although his numbers don’t say it, is no slouch from the right side either. It’s his natural side to bat from.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM

For his career, his numbers from the right side of the plate are actually better than the left side.

• phillyphreak - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

“The only reason that I left Victorino and Rollins out is because they are switch hitters. I was only referring to the pure right handed hitters in the lineup. ”

So this makes no sense.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM

phillyfreak,

It makes perfect sense. What doesn’t make sense is why you keep replying to my posts with nonsense. What’s your problem? You are the dumbest person I have ever seen comment. You ripped me the other night for berating Cliff Lee’s pitching performance and here you are now trying to start shit again.

• phillyphreak - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Chill biceps. I’m just saying that switch hitters still bat right handed. You need to stop being so sensitive. Tone down the tough guy behind the computer mentality.

“You are the dumbest person I have ever seen comment.” – Hey no fair. I used this on you yesterday. You stole my line!

Cliff Lee wasn’t that bad. Sure he made some bad pitches but overall it was fine. I think he was more unlucky than anything.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

phillyfreak,

Alright. No problem. Just don’t go apeshit on me again when I go nuts on a Phillies player that is not performing up to their capabilities. That’s what fans do. I use this board as a conduit for my frustration when the team plays bad.

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

He just isn’t himself lately, and it sucks to say for me, but during the playoffs he’s reminding me of who was in his spot in 08. Yeah, the guy signed the Camden Riversharks, and then signed to the Padres AAA team, Pedro Feliz. Polly is an awesome player who’s playing with an injury and his production has been bad, plain and simple. I hope he can step it up for this next game tonight.

• leerosenthall - Oct 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I totally agree. Polly is one of my all-time favorite players, but I was hoping Charlie would have pulled him and let Mayberry bat for him in the bottom of the ninth on Sunday. I know Charlie has enormous respect for his veterans, but even on his best days, Polly is no slugger. There was a chance Mayberry could have tied that game with one swing in the bottom of the ninth. Valdez is a very able substitute at third, even though he’s battling his own hamstring injury.

I’ll be honest — I was hoping Polanco would get another “shot” (or two!) before the series began, but maybe he’s at his limit medically. Really sad for him, but better to sit out a game or two than be a scapegoat later. He’s got a bulging disc in his back AND the sports hernia. How can he expect to play up to par? It’s amazing how many great plays he’s actually made the second half of this season.

3. Francisco (FC) - Oct 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM

This isn’t a surprise. He’s playing through the injury and he’s going to struggle.

4. cardsfanindelaware - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I love the fact that Philly has now officially lost “home field advantage” and all you Philly fans have to start lashing out in a defensive manner to make yourselves feel better. Now all the blogs are making excuses as to why the Phollies will lose this series.

Next step, riots in the streets of Philly cuz their sports teams suck and the fans can’t handle it.

Cry me a river…

• cardsfanindelaware - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Polanco and his hernia, your pitching coach crying about not pitching on short rest, Howard and his foot, Oswalt feeling snubbed, boohoo…

You don’t hear Pujols whining about his foot / ankle, Holliday and his hand, Furcal and his hamstring, Westbrook riding the pine in the bullpen.

Philly needs to learn from a real team…

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Actually, we do hear about Holliday, Pujols, Furcal and the like. You are being hyper aggressive in your posts. Take it easy. Either you are trolling for a fight or you are just wound way too tight.

• phillyphreak - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM

St. Louis fan. Baseball heaven everybody.

• firedude7160 - Oct 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM

All I can say would be this

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I’d rather live in a passionate sports city than a dispassionate sports city like a lot of the other sports cities in this country.

“Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”

5. leerosenthall - Oct 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM

What the hell exactly IS a “sports hernia” anyway? Are there any medical professionals on here who can define it in a sentence or two.

• firedude7160 - Oct 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM

A hernia is a weakening of the muscles or tendons of the lower abdominal wall where a pouch breaks through. A sports hernia is a weakening of the muscles or tendons of the lower abdominal wall, but no pouch has broken through. So essentially, a sports hernia is kind of like a hernia without an actual hernia. Almost like only having a fracture instead of a full break

6. firedude7160 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Blah

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3501)