Oct 4, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
So, yeah, that amazing September comeback didn’t result in a whole lot of October excitement, but the Rays should only be stronger in 2012.
This was supposed to be something of a rebuilding year for Tampa Bay after the losses of Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena and the decimation of a bullpen that was could have been considered baseball’s best in 2010. The Rays, though, managed to hang tough and win 91 games to make it into the postseason.
There will be no similar exodus this winter. The only significant players not under control for 2012 are Casey Kotchman and Johnny Damon. That doesn’t mean everyone will be back — B.J. Upton could be traded and the Rays may figure it’s not worth exercising Kelly Shoppach‘s $3.2 million option — but the Rays shouldn’t have to cut corners this winter.
The Rays will also get a full season from Desmond Jennings next year and perhaps one from Matt Moore, depending on how they want to play it. They could stick with their rotation of James Shields, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann at the start of the season, allowing them to finesse Moore’s service time a bit. Or they could trade a starter for a shortstop and plug Moore right in. He’d likely be one of the AL’s top lefties right away.
Either way, the Rays will be a big-time threat. Depending on how the winter plays out, the American League’s three best teams on paper next year could all play in the East.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)