Oct 5, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
When the Indians shut down Grady Sizemore for the final week of the season they described the move as precautionary, but yesterday the oft-injured center fielder underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery in Colorado.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer notes that the surgery was Sizemore’s fifth in the past three years, but says the good news is that it wasn’t the dreaded microfracture operation that Sizemore had on his left knee last year.
Sizemore will have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, but he may not be reporting to camp with the Indians. Cleveland holds an $8.5 million option or $500,000 buyout on Sizemore for 2012 and general manager Chris Antonetti declined to share any insight when asked about the odds of exercising it.
Once upon a time that option seemed like a no-brainer pickup, but Sizemore has missed 56, 129, and 91 games in the past three seasons and has hit just .220 with a .280 on-base percentage and .379 slugging percentage since the beginning of 2010. Cleveland must decide on the option within three days after the World Series ends, so Sizemore won’t be recovered from this latest surgery when the $8 million choice is made.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)