Oct 5, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
When the Indians shut down Grady Sizemore for the final week of the season they described the move as precautionary, but yesterday the oft-injured center fielder underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery in Colorado.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer notes that the surgery was Sizemore’s fifth in the past three years, but says the good news is that it wasn’t the dreaded microfracture operation that Sizemore had on his left knee last year.
Sizemore will have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training, but he may not be reporting to camp with the Indians. Cleveland holds an $8.5 million option or $500,000 buyout on Sizemore for 2012 and general manager Chris Antonetti declined to share any insight when asked about the odds of exercising it.
Once upon a time that option seemed like a no-brainer pickup, but Sizemore has missed 56, 129, and 91 games in the past three seasons and has hit just .220 with a .280 on-base percentage and .379 slugging percentage since the beginning of 2010. Cleveland must decide on the option within three days after the World Series ends, so Sizemore won’t be recovered from this latest surgery when the $8 million choice is made.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)