Oct 5, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
There are a times when a guy I’ve never heard of shows up in a box score. I try to cover every team as much as possible and that hurt’s one’s depth of baseball knowledge, so it happens. I don’t know every fourth outfielder or fifth bullpen arm in the game and if a dude has split time between the minors and the bigs in a season and hasn’t otherwise made headlines and/or played for an NL East team, no, it’s not likely that I know him. Just one of those things.
I’d like to think, however, that if I was covering one city’s teams and one of those teams was in a playoff series, that I’d know the opposition’s roster fairly well. But maybe that’s asking too much.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)