Mike Napoli swallowed a wad of chewing tobacco during that home plate collision

Oct 5, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Rays' Rodriguez runs to collide with Rangers catcher Napoli at home plate, before knocking the ball loose to score in the second inning on a double by teammate Joyce in Game 4 in their MLB playoffs in St. Petersburg

Reason number 1,246 not to use smokeless tobacco.  Yesterday, during the Rays-Rangers game, Mike Napoli was leveled by Sean Rodriguez at a play at the plate.  The initial concern was that Napoli might have gotten a concussion, but he was examined after the game and his head seems to be fine.

His stomach, though? Eh, probably not so much:

Jamie Reed, the club’s head athletic trainer, came out to check on Napoli along with manager Ron Washington and Reed continued to check on him after each inning. Washington told the umpire he was checking on him. “The next thing is [Napoli] said, ‘Geez, I had a wad of chew, where is it?'” Washington said. “He had swallowed it. Then he said, ‘I’m all right skip, let’s go.'”

Eww.

1. antlerclaws - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Gross. At least it wasn’t bubble gum, because according to playground urban legend, that stuff stays in your stomach for 7 years.

2. theonlynolan - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM

That doesn’t surprise me. I mean have you seen the guy? He’s built like a brick shit house.

3. pisano - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM

So who’s fault is that? anyone stupid enough to use that shit deserves what he gets. I guess he’s never seen pictures of people with oral (mouth) cancer, not a pretty sight. Keep using it,and see where it leads.

• drunkenhooliganism - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

He’s probably seen thousands of people in person who have suffered no ill effects from chew.

I quit about four years ago for two main reasons. My first child was born, and I thought he should be raised by a dad who doesn’t have disgusting women repelling habits and I wanted to dedicate more of my vice budget to booze.

4. peed1 - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Interesting when it comes out…

5. foreverchipper10 - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM

At least he didn’t do what the kids from The Sandlot did when they dipped before going on that Scrambler-esque ride at the carnival….

• El Bravo - Oct 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM

lots o puke in that seen if a recall correctly

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

You’re killing me Smalls!

6. cowboysoldiertx - Oct 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Lil chew swallowing aint never hurt nobody! It’s all that white stuff those fruity boys swallow that leads to issues and such!

7. protectthishouse54 - Oct 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Only in baseball.

8. baseballstars - Oct 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM

1:35-1:50

• RedHeadedBastard - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Funny part about this is the fact that Joe West is part of this crew!

9. APBA Guy - Oct 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

That explains the slightly sick look he had in the TBS close-ups. His eyes were focused and he was clearly lucid, yet he looked sick. That’s always a concussion symptom, of course, that barfy feeling. But at least he had an explanation.

10. Chris K - Oct 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I see 12 comments…but I don’t see any comments. Weird. I thought MLB outlawed tobacco in games…

11. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM

“He had swallowed it. Then he said, ‘I’m all right skip, let’s go.’”

ehh eehehhe heheh ehhe, he said “swallowed it”

yeah yeah, “swallowed the wad” he eehe ehehe ehe ehe

A managerial overanalysis epidemic