Oct 5, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
Speaking publicly for the first time since exiting as Boston’s manager, Terry Francona touched on several subjects Wednesday on WEEI, saying that he would have stayed with the Red Sox had his options been picked up and that he’s unsure about his status for 2012.
I have to own a lot of the responsibility for what happened. It was my responsibility to not let what happened happen. So regardless of how ownership feels or regardless of how (general manager) Theo (Epstein) feels or how the fans feel, I had a responsibility to get something done and it didn’t get done. …
Maybe it was just time. It certainly hurts. Some things I felt like was able to get done in the past, I wasn’t able to quite get done this year, especially at the end. That bothered me, a lot.
On his plans for 2012:
I don’t know, guys. I really don’t know. I certainly would love to stay in the game. I have no ambition to ever leave the game. … I don’t want to try to manage in the wrong situation. That wouldn’t be good for me. To manage again, you have to have someone think you’re worthy to manage. That may not happen. It may happen down the road. Who knows? What I need to do is try to take a deep breath, try to have some perspective right now. That’s not the easiest thing to do
Francona also talked about getting a phone call from Manny Ramirez after his departure was announced:
Actually, Manny called me. How ‘bout that? I was very surprised. It was actually a very nice message and I appreciated it a lot.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 0
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)