Oct 5, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Chip Hale has been hired by the Athletics. Quick work, there, Chip!
3:50 PM: The Mets announced a few minutes ago that bench coach Ken Oberkfell, third base coach Chip Hale, first base coach Mookie Wilson, and bullpen coach Jon Debus won’t be with the the major league club in 2012. It’s not clear yet if they’ve all been canned for good or are just being reassigned. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com reports that Hale was invited back to the team in another role for 2012 but declined.
I never know what to think of these kinds of things. Hitting coaches and pitching coaches at least have some tenuous metric by which they are judged (even if it’s hard to find a connection between their coaching and the metrics). Maybe a third base coach who has a lot of runners shot down at the plate needs to be reassigned. It’s a little harder for first base coaches and bullpen coaches, I presume. Often times, however, these guys have other duties besides those. For example, Andy Martino reports:
Sources say there were concerns about Wilson’s work preparing OF defense, particularly Duda.
Other first base coaches work on base running and stuff too. Kind of a catch-all coach. Mookie probably did an OK job patting the base runner on the tush and collecting the shin guards, but didn’t exactly excel in other areas. It happens. Even to guys with cool names like Mookie.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 6
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 115
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)