Oct 5, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Chip Hale has been hired by the Athletics. Quick work, there, Chip!
3:50 PM: The Mets announced a few minutes ago that bench coach Ken Oberkfell, third base coach Chip Hale, first base coach Mookie Wilson, and bullpen coach Jon Debus won’t be with the the major league club in 2012. It’s not clear yet if they’ve all been canned for good or are just being reassigned. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com reports that Hale was invited back to the team in another role for 2012 but declined.
I never know what to think of these kinds of things. Hitting coaches and pitching coaches at least have some tenuous metric by which they are judged (even if it’s hard to find a connection between their coaching and the metrics). Maybe a third base coach who has a lot of runners shot down at the plate needs to be reassigned. It’s a little harder for first base coaches and bullpen coaches, I presume. Often times, however, these guys have other duties besides those. For example, Andy Martino reports:
Sources say there were concerns about Wilson’s work preparing OF defense, particularly Duda.
Other first base coaches work on base running and stuff too. Kind of a catch-all coach. Mookie probably did an OK job patting the base runner on the tush and collecting the shin guards, but didn’t exactly excel in other areas. It happens. Even to guys with cool names like Mookie.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)