Oct 5, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
UPDATE: Chip Hale has been hired by the Athletics. Quick work, there, Chip!
3:50 PM: The Mets announced a few minutes ago that bench coach Ken Oberkfell, third base coach Chip Hale, first base coach Mookie Wilson, and bullpen coach Jon Debus won’t be with the the major league club in 2012. It’s not clear yet if they’ve all been canned for good or are just being reassigned. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com reports that Hale was invited back to the team in another role for 2012 but declined.
I never know what to think of these kinds of things. Hitting coaches and pitching coaches at least have some tenuous metric by which they are judged (even if it’s hard to find a connection between their coaching and the metrics). Maybe a third base coach who has a lot of runners shot down at the plate needs to be reassigned. It’s a little harder for first base coaches and bullpen coaches, I presume. Often times, however, these guys have other duties besides those. For example, Andy Martino reports:
Sources say there were concerns about Wilson’s work preparing OF defense, particularly Duda.
Other first base coaches work on base running and stuff too. Kind of a catch-all coach. Mookie probably did an OK job patting the base runner on the tush and collecting the shin guards, but didn’t exactly excel in other areas. It happens. Even to guys with cool names like Mookie.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 26
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)