Oct 5, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
I had no idea that former Mets outfielder Timo Perez was still playing baseball, but apparently he is — or at least was — because he was just suspended for violating baseball’s drug program, presumably for PEDs. He and three other minor leaguers — Oakland outfielder Mitchell LeVier and minor league free agents Oscar Rodriguez and Kelvin Santana — were handed 50-game suspensions yesterday.
Perez was a semi-regular Mets outfielder for a handful of years in the early 2000s, but he was best known for his base running exploits n Game 1 of the 2000 World Series. He was on first base when Todd Zeile hit a long fly ball that Perez thought was a homer, which caused him to slow down into a trot. The ball hit off the outfield wall, however, and his lollygagging caused him to be thrown out at home. The Yankees ended up winning that game by one run in 12 innings so, yeah, it kind of stung.
Perez is 36 now. He hasn’t played in the bigs since 2007. He hit .304 with Toledo this year and became a free agent at the end of the season. Probably academic now, though, as my guess is that his career is over with this suspension.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)