Oct 5, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
MLB slapped Tony La Russa with an undisclosed fine yesterday for his in-game remarks about the umpiring in Game 2 and the Cardinals manager quietly accepted his punishment, saying he had “no disagreement at all” with the decision.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the fine was “four figures” after La Russa questioned the strike zone during a between-innings dugout interview with TBS. Here’s what La Russa said about the punishment:
As soon as MLB called, my response was, “Whatever is imposed, you’ll get no argument.” I’m embarrassed that I crossed the line. I know what the line is. I got upset and I crossed the line. If I get a chance, I will apologize to [umpire] Jerry [Meals]. Like I said, I’ve never had any problems with him. He’s a pro. He has my utmost respect. We were competing, and I got upset and crossed the line. So whatever they throw at me I … just take it. I deserve it.
Coming back from an early deficit to win Game 2 probably made accepting the fine a little easier for La Russa, particularly since he prefaced his criticism of Jerry Meals by saying it “could get me in trouble.” Either way, he deserves credit for taking the high road.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)