A Tigers-Yankees Game 5 preview and a prediction

Oct 6, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT

Robinson Cano AP

While waiting for the decisive Game 5 to start, it’s hard not to notice that the Yankees have outscored the Tigers 26-14 through four games in the ALDS.

And I get the feeling tonight’s game will play out in the same manner that the previous games did: either the Yankees will win big or the Tigers will prevail in a tight one.

Of course, the Yankees can win a close game, too, what with David Robertson and Mariano Rivera well rested and ready to combine to work the final three innings tonight. And the Tigers offense, while not quite as explosive as the Yankees, did have 11 games of at least 10 runs scored this season (that was tied for eighth in the majors; the Yankees were third with 17).

But I think this is going to come down to Doug Fister. I suspect that Ivan Nova will give up two or three runs in six innings and that the Yankee bullpen will put up zeroes from there. So, if the Tigers get a performance from Fister that rivals the gems he delivered down the stretch (he had a 0.64 ERA in his final eight starts), they should win.

Yet my guess is that it won’t play out that way. Fister blew away my expectations for him this year, but I still don’t see him having the kind of stuff that plays well against the kind of lefty-heavy lineups that the Yankees feature. I think his giving up six runs in 4 2/3 innings back in Game 1 was less a bad performance from him and more the Yankees simply being better than he is.

So, we’ll see how it plays out. I’m picking the Yankees to win 8-3, but maybe Fister can prove me wrong yet again.

1. proudlycanadian - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Enjoy the game Matthew and Len. I will be watching the latest renewal of one of the greatest rivalries in sports. Yes! Hockey season has begun and the Leafs are playing the Canadiens.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Leafs won by 2 to 0. How are the Yankees doing?

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM

no ball = no sport

#friendlyribbing

• paperlions - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Get that misogynistic crap out of here ;-)

3. Glenn - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:45 PM

No offense, Matthew, but you have mentioned every possible outcome. Hedge your bets much?

4. brianbowman16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Wow you were way off buddy

5. nickynick04 - Oct 7, 2011 at 5:40 AM