Oct 6, 2011, 3:48 PM EST
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the Tigers-Yankees series tonight:
DETROIT TIGERS NEW YORK YANKEES 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Don Kelly, 3B 2. Curtis Granderson, CF 3. Delmon Young, LF 3. Robinson Cano, 2B 4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B 5. Victor Martinez, DH 5. Mark Teixeira, 1B 6. Magglio Ordonez, RF 6. Nick Swisher, RF 7. Alex Avila, C 7. Jorge Posada, DH 8. Jhonny Peralta, SS 8. Russell Martin, C 9. Ramon Santiago, 2B 9. Brett Gardner, LF SP Doug Fister, RHP SP Ivan Nova, RHP
Wilson Betemit is 0-for-10 in the series and rather than turn to Brandon Inge manager Jim Leyland has opted to go with Don Kelly at third base. Kelly is 3-for-7 in the series, but he’s also a 31-year-old career .240 hitter with a ghastly .285 on-base percentage and .363 slugging percentage in 287 games and has logged just 444 innings at third base in the majors. Starting him at third base in a do-or-die game is an odd move and batting him second in the order is even weirder. It also means the three guys hitting directly in front of cleanup man Miguel Cabrera had on-base percentages of .317, .302, and .291 this year.
No changes for the Yankees, who’re sticking with the exact same lineup they used in each of the first four games of the series.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)