Oct 6, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the Tigers-Yankees series tonight:
DETROIT TIGERS NEW YORK YANKEES 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Don Kelly, 3B 2. Curtis Granderson, CF 3. Delmon Young, LF 3. Robinson Cano, 2B 4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B 5. Victor Martinez, DH 5. Mark Teixeira, 1B 6. Magglio Ordonez, RF 6. Nick Swisher, RF 7. Alex Avila, C 7. Jorge Posada, DH 8. Jhonny Peralta, SS 8. Russell Martin, C 9. Ramon Santiago, 2B 9. Brett Gardner, LF SP Doug Fister, RHP SP Ivan Nova, RHP
Wilson Betemit is 0-for-10 in the series and rather than turn to Brandon Inge manager Jim Leyland has opted to go with Don Kelly at third base. Kelly is 3-for-7 in the series, but he’s also a 31-year-old career .240 hitter with a ghastly .285 on-base percentage and .363 slugging percentage in 287 games and has logged just 444 innings at third base in the majors. Starting him at third base in a do-or-die game is an odd move and batting him second in the order is even weirder. It also means the three guys hitting directly in front of cleanup man Miguel Cabrera had on-base percentages of .317, .302, and .291 this year.
No changes for the Yankees, who’re sticking with the exact same lineup they used in each of the first four games of the series.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)