ALDS Game 5 Live Chat: Tigers vs. Yankees

Oct 6, 2011, 7:55 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Detroit Tigers - Game 4 Getty Images

Two teams enter, one team leaves. It’s Thunderdome, baby. Baseball-style.

Ivan Nova takes on Doug Fister. Which is totally what we expected in Game 5. Actually, I would have sooner expected Andy Hawkins and Dan Petry. Maybe even preferred it.  Oh well, you can’t always get what you want. This will be good enough for our purposes.

Chat will get going at around 8pm:

1. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Well, I’m gonna christen the comments section.

The funny thing about scoring early on the Yankees in the post-season is they’re likely to come right back and put up a 5-spot.

2. drewmunny - Oct 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Inconsistent strike zone tonight. C’mon Yankees, let’s put some on the board!

3. 8man - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Is it lost on everyone else that Detroit may well be Fisting the Wankees tonight?

Well I never count the pinstripes out until they actually are…so here’s hoping…Go Tigers!

4. jayswin93 - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

CC is code for double cheese burger, right? Sabathia feels a CC awaits him if he can set down the Tigers and trigger a comeback. ?$&@! I’m at the airport in Calgary and can’t find the game. Bloody hockey towns forget about baseball at the worst time.

5. lukeslice - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM

a-rod blew it like a…

screw it never mind. god dammit.

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Easy luke. ARod was overmatched by Valverde’s presence.

• Marty - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Man, he just kept blowing it too. How many strikeouts in the clutch was that?

• polegojim - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I just don’t get the whole A-Rod thing…never have.

Remind me again, what do they may him an OBSCENE amount of money for???

To strike out THREE times with runners on?

Enjoy cashing those checks Alex. That’s why all Pro sports should be Pay for Results, not for just showing up.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM

• Old Gator - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Well Chris, chances are you and the other Feelies fans who smelled Borg blood are just gonna have to be satisfied with your garden variety World Series championship, eh?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Not me, OG. I’m not one of those “We want revenge” type fans. Give me the easiest path…nobody remembers who you beat to get there. That’s why I would have loved to destroy those pesky D-Backs this round and let the Brewers/Braves fight it out. But hey, the Cardinals are tough and tomorrow night I will be sweating like all the Yankers fans did tonight…yeah, they are back to being the Yankers.

• brianbowman16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM

CLASSIC Chris!

7. kinggeorge96 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I would say this f***ing sucks, but since I sold my soul to the devil for a Red Sox collapse, I’d better not tempt the fates…………

8. bigleagues - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Within 15 minutes of the conclusion of this game – Twitter was flooded. with fans of the Tigers and other smaller market teams praising the exit of the remaining AL East team. #redsox trended up 1250%

Strangely . . . not a Yankees fan could be found alive on Twitter.

9. raysfan1 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Congrats to Los Tigres. Now I’m rooting for a “1968 rematch” in the WS.

• Old Gator - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

You can say that. A bunch of Faux Sports marketing managers just watched their Christmas bonuses plunge by a few hundred grand. Break out the bathtub gin, boys.

• raysfan1 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM

A moment of silence for Fox Sports’s advertising income…okay I’m done. Back to smiling about the Tigers, pulling for the fall of the Phillies, and remembering Gibson v. McLain.

• brianbowman16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

as longs as it ends different than the 2006 1968 rematch I’m all for it

10. lembeck4 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Nothing sweeter than watching dejected yankees fans cry…..GLORIOUS DAY!!!!

11. brianbowman16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Oh this is such a GREAT feeling, ONCE AGAIN we knock out the ‘GREATEST TEAM’ in the FIRST ROUND of the playoffs!
    This is one great week to be a Detroit Sports fan, and the Lions beating the ‘GREATEST TEAM’ the freaking Dallas Cowboys on sunday just makes it all that much sweeter.

Happy Anniversary Yankees!
    5 years ago today, we sent you on vacation.
    Make sure to get the 50 SPF, the sun in Mexico is HARSH!!!!

Love me some Tigers!!!!!!
    ON TO ARLINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Great live chat. Craig really blogged above himself, there. What can I say but Jose Valverde, LIKE A STUD! Was he clutch, or what? Such grit. Such scrap! He was ballplayer out there. I hope he’s shaping up a great save dance for the ALCS. However the Rangers didn’t make it that far to get sent home by a chicken dancing, four eyed, great potato, no sir.

This next series, best of 7 isn’t it? Well then, if that’s the case, then Rangers in 5 games over the Tigers. Go Rangers!

13. Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:27 AM

That was a great chat. Probably a lot of work for Craig. Luckily he can numb his pain while working from home.

• lukeslice - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Not like he wanted to watch the actual game anyway!

14. aceshigh11 - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM

First time I ever participated in a Live Chat, and it was a riot…had a great time with everyone!

15. lukeslice - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM

The chat WAS great…and for the record, I drank entirely too much Bookers and I am dying right now.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3838)