Oct 6, 2011, 2:08 PM EST
Has this always happened, or is it a new thing?
Braves’ President John Schuerholz and Giants managing partner Larry Baer have each written letters to the fans talking about how much of a bummer it was for the teams to miss the playoffs but, dadgummit, we’re gonna double our efforts and happiness is but a season away.
Actually, they’re not both technically apologies. Schuerholz’s sounds more like that and, as is clear from the personalized greeting, was sent via email to whoever had signed up to get Braves’ spam. Baer’s letter is more like a hybrid commiseration/introduction with a few bones thrown to the idea that 2011 was not fun. It’s in open letter form, posted at the Giants’ website.
I guess it’s a nice gesture. It’d be better if the Braves’ one contained pics of Fredi Gonzalez getting worked over by a couple of hired goons, but it’s nice enough. I just kind of wonder what the letter from the Astros or the Twins would look like.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 22
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 77
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 43
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 40
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (77)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)