Frank McCourt loses again

Oct 6, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT

Frank McCourt AP

Last week the judge told Frank McCourt’s lawyers that they’re not entitled to get into the financial information of the other 29 teams as he tries to make a case that Bud Selig is treating him unfairly. The other day McCourt filed a motion to have the judge reconsider that ruling.  Yesterday the lawyers argued for a reconsideration in court.

At the end of it, the judge basically told them what judges always tell litigants asking the court to change its mind. Here’s what I believe to be exclusive video of the judge making his decision. Here’s a longer version of the decision.

Every day in which Frank McCourt comes closer to losing control of the Dodgers is a better day than the one that came before.

1. b7p19 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Frank needs a hug…

• Big Ed Robles - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

… A bear-hug… From a real bear…

• paperlions - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Too late, they are getting divorced.

• Old Gator - Oct 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM

From a junkyard compactor….

2. deathmonkey41 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I’m not sure I’d want that guy having access to my financial information either.

3. bloodysock - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I think it went down more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrqXDNogD3g

4. Old Gator - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Don’t you push me baby
    ‘Cause I’m moaning low
    And you know I’m only in it
    For the gold….

All the boys are braggin’
    And drinkin’ that wine
    I can tell the Queen of Diamond
    By the way she shines
    Come to daddy on an inside straight
    Well I got no chance of losing…this time….

5. cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

A bad day for Frank = a goo day for Baseball.

Just walk away, Frank. Just. Walk. Away.

6. PastyRasta - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Great news for Dodgers fans, however with Frank and Jamie’s divorce not scheduled until next Spring or Summer I just don’t see him going anywhere for awhile and that is unfortunate.

7. Ted Spradlin - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Even though you weren’t a corporate BK attorney Craig, what do you foresee happening with this case?
    Can he hold MLB hostage with his ownership of the stadium and multiple parcels of the parking lot?
    How many more legal maneuvers does he have?
    Will the Dodgers wind up as property of MLB next season?
    Is there no possibility of a BK re-organization where he can emerge in 3-5 years after this potentially lucrative Fox Sports contract saves the financial day?

Or, will the court see what the McCourts are doing for what it is, a control fraud or looting the corporation for personal gain while sticking it to the creditors?

• craigbhill - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Not Calcaterra ~~

My understanding of bankruptcy appeals is that they are quick, don’t allow new evidence or testimony, and rarely change the bankruptcy judge’s ruling unless the judge has screwed something up badly in the case law. Inasmuch as McCourt is practically inventing a case without precedent, that Selig wanted him out before he moved into the stadium (big deal, he had the goods oin McCourt no later than we did), as if there’s a crime involved there that would allow a judge to force MLB to accept a tv rights auction if MLB doesn’t want to.

So where can F***k go with this, assuming the judge rules in November as he seems to be leaning, against a tv auction and in favor of MLB? Or rather, how long can McCourt stretch this out if the judge says it’s time for an auction of the club?

8. Jeff M. - Oct 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

That is an excellent “sad Frank McCourt” picture!

• Jeff M. - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Who would give that a thumbs down? What, you like seeing Frankie happy? Weirdo.

9. russgrant - Oct 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

You know, McCourt losing anything just makes me happy.

10. hank10 - Oct 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Hey, Frank. Does the term ‘beating your head against the wall’ have any significance for you?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3506)