Oct 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.
The Cardinals, Yankees and Diamondbacks are all heading into a Game 5 in the division series. But this is not the first time that has happened. Flash back to 2001 when the Yankees beat the A’s in a deciding Game 5 of the ALDS and the Cardinals and Diamondbacks met one another in their own Game 5 with the Dbacks, obviously, because they went on to win the World Series, prevailing.
Overall, it’s the third time we’ve had three Game 5s played in the division series. Know when the other one was? How about 1981. Yup, pre-wild card. For those of you who are painfully young, recall that because of the strike that year, baseball split the season into two sections and had the first place teams from each of the four divisions for each half of the season face off in a division series. Three of them — Yankees vs. Brewers, Expos vs. Phillies and Dodgers vs. Astros went five games, with New York, Montreal and L.A. prevailing.
So, 1981, 2001 and 2011. If the pattern holds, we should have three Game 5s in 2016. That’s just science.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)