Oct 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.
The Cardinals, Yankees and Diamondbacks are all heading into a Game 5 in the division series. But this is not the first time that has happened. Flash back to 2001 when the Yankees beat the A’s in a deciding Game 5 of the ALDS and the Cardinals and Diamondbacks met one another in their own Game 5 with the Dbacks, obviously, because they went on to win the World Series, prevailing.
Overall, it’s the third time we’ve had three Game 5s played in the division series. Know when the other one was? How about 1981. Yup, pre-wild card. For those of you who are painfully young, recall that because of the strike that year, baseball split the season into two sections and had the first place teams from each of the four divisions for each half of the season face off in a division series. Three of them — Yankees vs. Brewers, Expos vs. Phillies and Dodgers vs. Astros went five games, with New York, Montreal and L.A. prevailing.
So, 1981, 2001 and 2011. If the pattern holds, we should have three Game 5s in 2016. That’s just science.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)