Oct 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.
The Cardinals, Yankees and Diamondbacks are all heading into a Game 5 in the division series. But this is not the first time that has happened. Flash back to 2001 when the Yankees beat the A’s in a deciding Game 5 of the ALDS and the Cardinals and Diamondbacks met one another in their own Game 5 with the Dbacks, obviously, because they went on to win the World Series, prevailing.
Overall, it’s the third time we’ve had three Game 5s played in the division series. Know when the other one was? How about 1981. Yup, pre-wild card. For those of you who are painfully young, recall that because of the strike that year, baseball split the season into two sections and had the first place teams from each of the four divisions for each half of the season face off in a division series. Three of them — Yankees vs. Brewers, Expos vs. Phillies and Dodgers vs. Astros went five games, with New York, Montreal and L.A. prevailing.
So, 1981, 2001 and 2011. If the pattern holds, we should have three Game 5s in 2016. That’s just science.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27