Oct 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.
The Cardinals, Yankees and Diamondbacks are all heading into a Game 5 in the division series. But this is not the first time that has happened. Flash back to 2001 when the Yankees beat the A’s in a deciding Game 5 of the ALDS and the Cardinals and Diamondbacks met one another in their own Game 5 with the Dbacks, obviously, because they went on to win the World Series, prevailing.
Overall, it’s the third time we’ve had three Game 5s played in the division series. Know when the other one was? How about 1981. Yup, pre-wild card. For those of you who are painfully young, recall that because of the strike that year, baseball split the season into two sections and had the first place teams from each of the four divisions for each half of the season face off in a division series. Three of them — Yankees vs. Brewers, Expos vs. Phillies and Dodgers vs. Astros went five games, with New York, Montreal and L.A. prevailing.
So, 1981, 2001 and 2011. If the pattern holds, we should have three Game 5s in 2016. That’s just science.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 41
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 77
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)