Oct 6, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.
The Cardinals, Yankees and Diamondbacks are all heading into a Game 5 in the division series. But this is not the first time that has happened. Flash back to 2001 when the Yankees beat the A’s in a deciding Game 5 of the ALDS and the Cardinals and Diamondbacks met one another in their own Game 5 with the Dbacks, obviously, because they went on to win the World Series, prevailing.
Overall, it’s the third time we’ve had three Game 5s played in the division series. Know when the other one was? How about 1981. Yup, pre-wild card. For those of you who are painfully young, recall that because of the strike that year, baseball split the season into two sections and had the first place teams from each of the four divisions for each half of the season face off in a division series. Three of them — Yankees vs. Brewers, Expos vs. Phillies and Dodgers vs. Astros went five games, with New York, Montreal and L.A. prevailing.
So, 1981, 2001 and 2011. If the pattern holds, we should have three Game 5s in 2016. That’s just science.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)