Oct 6, 2011, 9:06 PM EDT
Yankees Game 5 starter Ivan Nova surrendered back-to-back homers on back-to-back pitches in the top of the first inning to Detroit’s Don Kelly and Delmon Young. He also yielded a leadoff double to Magglio Ordonez in the top of the second.
But the 24-year-old’s “stuff” didn’t look all that terrible and he was pounding the strike zone consistently, throwing only seven of his 31 pitches for balls.
Nonetheless, Nova was pulled at the start of the third inning in favor of long reliever Phil Hughes.
Was it a panic move by Yankees manager Joe Girardi? Was Nova settling in? The answer is probably “yes” to both questions. But Girardi has already made it known that staff ace CC Sabathia will be available in relief. Right or wrong, the fourth-year Yankees skipper is taking an inning-by-inning (or even batter-by-batter) approach to this series-deciding Game 5.
The Tigers lead 2-0 as we head to the middle innings. Follow our Game 5 Live Chat for more.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)