Oct 6, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Bench coach Ken Oberkfell was let go yesterday as part of the Mets’ coaching staff shakeup and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that their list of candidates to replace him includes former Nationals manager Jim Riggleman.
In addition to Riggleman, who stepped down in the middle of the season over a contract dispute, the Mets’ bench coach search is also said to include former A’s manager Bob Geren, former Mariners manager John McLaren, and former Phillies manager Larry Bowa.
Terry Collins has already had his contract option for 2013 picked up, so as of now his job security seems pretty strong, but pursuing four different former big-league managers as his bench coach would at the very least put a potential replacement in the same dugout.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury