Oct 6, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Scherzer shut out the Yankees for six innings in Game 2, throwing 104 pitches Sunday, so he’d likely be an option for an inning or two.
He hasn’t gotten any relief work since 2008, when he was a 23-year-old rookie with the Diamondbacks, but Scherzer certainly has the raw stuff to potentially dominate in short outings and his success mowing down the Yankees’ lineup in Game 2 may convince manager Jim Leyland to give him another shot if Fister gets into some early trouble.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)