Oct 6, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Scherzer shut out the Yankees for six innings in Game 2, throwing 104 pitches Sunday, so he’d likely be an option for an inning or two.
He hasn’t gotten any relief work since 2008, when he was a 23-year-old rookie with the Diamondbacks, but Scherzer certainly has the raw stuff to potentially dominate in short outings and his success mowing down the Yankees’ lineup in Game 2 may convince manager Jim Leyland to give him another shot if Fister gets into some early trouble.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17