Oct 6, 2011, 4:54 PM EST
Lots of names have been linked to the White Sox’s managerial opening since Ozzie Guillen went to the Marlins on September 28, but in the end the choice came out of nowhere.
In a surprise move the White Sox announced that Robin Ventura will replace Guillen as their new manager.
Ventura played 10 seasons for the White Sox as a power-hitting, Gold Glove-winning (and Nolan Ryan-fighting) third baseman–with Guillen often next to him at shortstop–retiring in 2004 at age 36. Since then he’s been a television analyst for college games on ESPN
“I wanted someone who met very specific criteria centered around his leadership abilities and Robin Ventura was that man,” general manager Ken Williams told reporters.
This is a certainly a bold, shocking move by Williams and the White Sox, but Ventura’s lack of experience makes it tough to have an opinion on his ability to do the job. He’s generally well respected around baseball, but has zero coaching track record aside from working with his son’s high school team.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)