The anti-“Moneyball?” Clint Eastwood to star in a movie about a baseball scout

Oct 6, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT

Clint Eastwood

“Moneyball” made money and everyone loves Clint Eastwood, so it is not at all shocking that another baseball movie is getting off the ground.  It’s called “Trouble With the Curve,” and here is the description, courtesy of Indiewire:

Penned by Randy Brown, the film has a great concept, centering on an aging baseball scout, who is slowly going blind, on a final trip with his daughter to check out a hot prospect. If “Moneyball” was an ode to baseball’s journeyman players, ‘Curve’ seems poised to tell the story of the old fogies around the table that Billy Beane couldn’t jive with.

I’m such a Clint Eastwood fan that I’d watch him in a movie about a guy who drags the infield with his four-wheeler for Legion games, so this sounds good to me.  Heck, I even loved those movies he did with the orangutan. I even liked “Firefox,” and that was just awful.

Just hope it doesn’t, you know, suck.  Eastwood said he was done with acting after “Gran Torino,” and it’s hard to top the way he went out with that.  And please, get off my lawn.

(link via BTF)

1. mdpickles - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM

“I know what you’re thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum – the most powerful hand gun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question–Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!”

^^Only one actor in this world can deliver lines like these, all hail Clint!

• Old Gator - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Close your eyes and imagine Pee Wee Herman delivering those lines while brandishing a squirt gu…er, nevermind, a cap pistol….

2. halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Dirty Harry takes on Sabermaticians. I like it.

3. APBA Guy - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I hope nobody tries to pull anything on Clint in this movie. He’s older, he’s cranky, and he’s always packing. If some kid tells him he’s 16, then it turns out he’s 18, it could get bloody.

4. halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Sabermatician (to Clint the scout): “Sir, this player in Sacramento has a WAR of 6.3.”

Clint the scout: “The only WAR I know about is the WAR that I’m packing in this .44 magnum.”

• aceshigh11 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

That’s a great line!

Or rather:

“WAR? What is this chickenshit statistical bullshit?

You ever served in a forward infantry unit, son? Ever looked into the beady eyes of a North Korean soldier before pulling the trigger and watching him die on a battlefield?

Ever woken up in the middle night in a cold sweat, screaming, unsure about whether you were in Seoul or St. Louis?

Don’t talk to me about WAR, son.”

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hahahahahahahaahaha!!!!!! I love it, Aces!

5. nolanwiffle - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Scene One: Outside Chavez Ravine….

Ne’er-do-well biker: “Hey, that’s my chopper, Charlie”!

Clint: “And this is my radar gun, Clyde”.

6. dianagram - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Alternate titles:
    The BABIP of Madison Bumgarner
    Every Which Way but LOOGY
    Million Dollar Nady
    Absolute Warning Track Power
    The Dead-Red Pool
    Firefox from Saturday Afternoon Baseball
    The Buster Posey Wails
    High Cheese Drifter
    Two Mules for Sammy Sosa

• proudlycanadian - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I was about to say that I preferred Two mules for Sammy Sosa; but on reflection, High Cheese Drifter has that special ring.

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hang ‘em Belt High

• bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

EXCELLENT list!

I’ll add:

Escape From Alcantara

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Pity Easwood wasn’t in “The Dogs of War”, then we’d have leverage for “The Boggs of WAR”. Alas, alas..

• Bill - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

In the Decline of Myers
      The Outlaw Leo Nunez
      Every Which Way But Lohse

7. Kevin S. - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Yawn to the false dichotomy between scouting and statistical analysis. They complement each other.

• paperlions - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Exactly. Thinking they are at odds, or ever have been, is all kinds of ignorant.

You know how the media makes things that are not black and white to create controversy and fill column space? Well, the media created this scout vs data controversy all by itself, it has not existed within the baseball industry…no team has jettisoned their scouts, in fact, most teams now have more scouts….they are all trying to use as much information as possible to make decisions.

8. natstowngreg - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Agree, it’s a great concept. Clint Eastwood as the old-timer facing his own mortality, trying to hang on to what he loves a little longer. I smell Oscar contender.

I imagine they will probably cast some young whippersnapper to play opposite Clint as a rival, numbers-obsessed scout, to capitalize on the whole “Moneyball” thing.

9. dailyrev - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

“A man’s gotta know his limitations, Mr. Epstein…”

10. aceshigh11 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I want to see Clint Eastwood put either Manny Ramirez or Alex Rodriguez in a chokehold at some point during this film.

11. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM

“Go ahhhead, make . . . a . . . play.”

12. mrfloydpink - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Nicely chosen picture! It just screams, “Hey you kids, get off my lawn!”

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

He actually said that in Grand Torino… of course with a shotgun…

13. deathmonkey41 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Left turn, Clyde.

14. ThatGuy - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Heartbreak Ridge is the king of Eastwood movies for good quotes
    “My name’s Gunnery Sergeant Highway and I’ve drunk more beer and banged more quiff and pissed more blood and stomped more ass that all of you numbnuts put together.”

15. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I’m willing to bet that ‘curve’ is the thread that ties this whole movie together. Here are my semi-predictions of what is contained in this movie:

– Eastwood’s character is named Curve . . . “Harry Curve” for example.

– Eastwood’s character was known for having the best curve in baseball – but career was cut short by arm injury.

– That last prospect he goes to see has the best curve he’s ever seen – besides his. Turns out the kid knew all about him and patterned his curveball after Eastwood’s. Eastwood thinks signing this kid is a lock, and his career is about to come full circle, when suddenly the kid throws a sharp changeup and signs with a rival team.

– At a key moment in the movie he dispenses his wisdom through metaphor: the best pitchers will never tip when they are throwing it – just like life never warns you before it throws a curve at you. But the best hitters can adjust and make contact, foul off a pitch to stay alive – as the best at life can adjust and keep on living (sabermatricians be damned!).

– He hadn’t seen his daughter for years, convinces her that he is sorry and wants her along for this one last trip. Just as she forgives him and begins to warm to him – she suffers fatal trauma to the head from a stray foul ball hit by a batter fending off a curveball from the prospect he is visiting.

16. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Curveball/Life metaphor expanded: the best batters can foul off those curveballs and wait for that one pitch they can drive. Sometimes they miss that one pitch – but if they connect just once in a big spot – they’ll be remembered forever. I’m still trying to connect on that one pitch I can drive. This is my last chance. I want to sign this kid. I need to sign this kid, so I’ll be remembered.

17. Reflex - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Just want to say that Eastwood is one of the nice guys in Hollywood as well. My uncle worked on sets for thirty years and his first Eastwood production was “Escape from Alcatraz”. They had to build one set on an island for a mockup of the exterior of the prison, and the heat was over 100F. Eastwood toured the set, and was apalled that they all were working in such heat with box lunches. When my uncle showed up for work the next day Eastwood had out of pocket hired a catering company and they had barbecue pits and grills set up with cold sodas and beer(it was the 70’s, beer on the job was apparently acceptable) and they ate like kings for the rest of that job.

He worked on several other Eastwood movies after that and he said he was consistantly great to his crews, always approachable and hands on, and just an all around nice guy who actually cared about the people he worked with. Sadly my uncle died a decade ago, but on his last picture his name did hit the credits after the latest round of union negotiations, so watch for Barrett Fleetwood next time you watch the credits in Shawshank Redemption. ;)

• cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM

“so watch for Barrett Fleetwood next time you watch the credits in Shawshank Redemption.”

I’ll do it Reflex, then I’ll point it out to everyone and say: “I talk to that guy’s nephew”. Just thought i should let you know I was basking in your reflected glory.

• Reflex - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Well, I could point out that my father was in charge of all the set construction for tons of tv shows and movies, such as The Waltons and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but they didn’t list people like him back then.

That said, I don’t need to bask in their glory, I’m reasonably well known in my own field. But as my uncle died(alcoholism, literally drank himself to death), and my father was diagnosed with alzheimer’s last week, I’ve been more than a little reflective on their lives of late. I admire their accomplishments, but I do not feel they reflect on me at all. It does somewhat bother me though that when my father is gone nobody will really know what he ever did with his life, besides his immediate family. At least his brother got one screen credit though.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3355)