The Phillies’ bats have gone cold

Oct 6, 2011, 11:02 AM EST

Philadelphia Phillies' Howard reacts to striking out during their MLB Divisional Series playoffs against St. Louis Cardinals in St. Louis

Don’t kill the messenger. I merely pass along the observations of others about how the Phillies’ offense sucks right now, not to make judgments myself.  But of course, reasonable people can only draw so many conclusions from data.

ESPN’s stats crew — passed along in Buster Olney’s column today — noted that in yesterday’s Cards-Phillies game, Edwin Jackson threw 15 sliders out of the strike zone, and that the Phillies chased 10 of them.  What’s more, Jackson — not known for his control — went to only one 2-0 count.  Jackson basically junkballed the Phillies to death and they couldn’t lay off.  Especially Ryan Howard who went down on strikes three times, the tenth time he has done so in the playoffs.  Howard has the highest strikeout rate in postseason history.

Meanwhile, Matt Gelb of the Philly Inquirer points out that while Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley have gotten the job done as best they can, the Phillies’ 3-4-5 hitters are ice cold.

Having Roy Halladay on the hill for Game 5 may all but moot this.  After all, picturing him having some sort of disaster start is just not part of a reasonable person’s frame of reference, and you know that Charlie Manuel won’t take the ball out of his hands until the game is over or he hits 130 pitches, whichever comes first.

But in the off chance that Halladay isn’t Halladay, does anyone have any faith that the Philly offense is going to suddenly wake up?

134 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Way to state the obvious ESPN….ground breaking analysis from behind the pay wall. On to the second point, I have faith that the offense will do its part on Friday…meaning score enough runs for the victory. I don’t expect an offensive explosion but a decent offensive display allowing Doc to get the job done. And yes Craig, I fully expect Halladay to only leave the mound if his arm falls off.

2. bigxrob - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM

any faith that the Philly offense is going to suddenly wake up?

no. I don’t. I couldn’t be more pessimistic about the offense right now. I felt the same during the Giants series last year.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

And people wonder why I say Phillies fans are insecure …

• bigxrob - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I don’t think it’s insecurity. It’s more like reality. This team goes through stretches where they have problems scoring runs. To think they are going to come out Friday and score a bunch of runs against Carpenter is fantasy.
        I didn’t say I don’t think they will win. I believe Halladay is going to be great Friday.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Oh my gawd, what a bait job. Let’s see.. If he said “Aww man, they are going to kick butt, get a lot of runs tonight and take the series easy in a game 5 win.” the guy would be spreading his Philly “Hubris”.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Their 8th best hitter will break out of his slump sometime, perhaps in game 5. Otherwise Doc will win by a 1 to 0 score and will drive in the winning run himself.

• sasquash20 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Yeah that insecurity we have has nothing to do with the fact we have 1 championship in like 30 years in all 4 major sports. We as fans have this pessimistic way to how we go about our teams. Years and years of losing and being horrible has trained us to expect to lose. When the rain delay in the 08 World Series came I was convinced that we would eventually lose. We had the lead and god wanted to mess with us. We love our teams but we have trouble embracing a great team. We often take small issues with our teams and make them gigantic. Its what being passionate fans of bad teams for so long does to you.

That being said I called Phillies in 5 and I’m sticking to it. This has been a fantastic series all around between to battle tested teams. Both these teams have been here before. Win or lose this is playoff baseball maybe the best thing in sports.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Craig, this has to be one of your bait jobs right? You point out all of the negative stats, which any Phillies fan knows they wouldn’t be able to argue against. Then when 1 guy agrees that he shouldn’t be confident that the bats would wake up you pull out your lame “insecurity” bit? Unreal. Somebody call that TJ Symers guy in Los Angeles. Craig just took over as the all time master baiter.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Dude…seriously? I wrote this in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here. Did you think the Cardinals were going to roll over? They have made the playoffs 5 of the last 8 years. They are a talented and seasoned squad. The Phillies weren’t going to roll over them like they did the nubile Reds and Brewers. The series is exactly where it should be…2-2 with game 5 in Philly.

Anybody who is panicking about game 5, and saying the Phillies are disappointing are not looking at the fact that in a 5-game series, the team with the advantage gets 3 home games and the other team gets 2 home games. If all goes to plan, the series goes 5 and the Phillies have the advantage of being home for that game.

If you are pessimistic with Doc on the mound in game 5 at home, then you are nuts. If the Cardinals buck the odds and win, then you can proceed to kill the Phillies because they will deserve it. Otherwise, have a little faith man.

If they win game 5, then all will be forgotten about the Cardinals. If they lose game 5, the Cliff Lee sucks :D

• cintiphil - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Maybe the Phllies fans can start booing now. You guys are too much.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM

If they win game 5, then all will be forgotten about the Cardinals. If they lose game 5, then Cliff Lee sucks :D

• bigxrob - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I said I was pessimistic that the offense was going to break out in Game 5. Let’s not read too much into this.

• cleverbob - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Twice for posterity?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Some people overstate things. It’s not like they’ve been shut out, they’ve scored at least 3 runs in every game. I know of a specific stretch of masterful Philly pitching that would have notched 4 victories with that kind of run support. Do I think they’re going to go to town on Carpenter? I don’t think so but who knows. At the very least I expect them to score enough to give Halladay the chance at victory.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM

If the Phillies score 4 runs for Halladay and lose, then I’ll be shocked.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

If that happens the Cardinals deserve to go to the NLCS.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Philly hitters are OPSing .520 against Carp lifetime, and that includes Polanco’s .313/.353./.438 while I don’t think we will be seeing tonight.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

You don’t think Polanco will play on Friday?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Play? Yes. Play up to his career numbers? I doubt it. He looks hobbled out there.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Fair enough and most likely true.

• cintiphil - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

At least you are taking an optimistic view. I would take the same position. That is much better than the average Phillies fan.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Most Phillies fans are confident in victory. Halladay is on the mound after all. Maybe if you stopped trolling for specific comments to spread your bullshit on, then you could see that. Seriously, why are you always trolling Phillies comments to talk this crap? Is is some type of perverse enjoyment you get? Did Chase Utley steal your high school girlfriend?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM

To be fair, some Phillies fans would likely be proud and gaga about Utley stealing their high school girlfriend.

4. funkygoorilla - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

The spirits have told me the Phillies are going to lose, and honestly I cant wait.

• cintiphil - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

What did I tell you?

5. Clinton Manitoba - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Look for Howard to take strike three for the final out tomorrow just as he did last year..

• sasquash20 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Look for Howard to go yard again and win this game.

6. flapjack3285 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM

They need hats for bats. Keep bats warm.

7. flyinhighwithvick - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM

The bats may have gone cold, but at least they haven’t gone home….like the Braves.

8. Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Cue the b!tching about the lack of hitting being attributed to cold bats and not to Cards pitching….

9. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Why do people not like the Phillies? Is it something about the team that some people dislike or one particular player? Is it the fans that turn some people off to the team. I would be interested to here people’s reason for disliking the Phillies.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I don’t dislike the Phightins. :P

• thefalcon123 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:43 AM

They’ve spent the last 5 years as the most dominant team in the NL. Don’t feel bad, being hated means they’re doing great.

And yes, I hate the Phillies.

• funkygoorilla - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Its because they went the Red-sox/Yankee way, by buying all the big stars and expecting championships. People like to see the big dog fall.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

You realize that is not true though. They used home grown talent to trade for and extend Halladay. Traded for Lee then brought him back. Traded Polanco then brought him back. Traded for Pence. It’s not like they went out and signed 3 marquee free agents. It is a problem of perception on the parts of some. You see the high payroll and think that “Oh, they bought their team,” but it is not so. The only free agent they signed recently that hadn’t previously played for them is Ibanez. Look at their roster and I will include rule 5′s in this: Howard, Utley, Rollins, Chooch, Shane, Hamels, and Madson are key contributors who are essentially Phillies products.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM

The expanding payroll is more of a function of success than anything else. Watch, it will be a similar problem in Texas soon where their players hit the open market. To keep them, pocket books have to be opened.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

How, again, did they “…buy…all the big stars…” when they only signed Cliffy, Polly and Rauuuuullll? The other guys they got through the farm—either development and promotion, or trade? Seriously…how?

• bigxrob - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM

This breaks down where every playoff team got their players..fro Grantland.com

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Excellent chart. According to this the Phillies have 5 Free agents, three of which are Gload, Schneider and Valdez. Cliff Lee is the big signing, Raul Ibanez is the other smaller impact signing. It is a perception problem. The Big payroll is due to the fact that Philly’s core has aged and has been extended and they are now far more expensive and the Phillies are trying to keep them together as long as possible.

• protectthishouse54 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I’d say it’s a combination of annoying fans and winning.

• b7p19 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM

First, I would never fault a team for using all their payroll. If you have the resources you should use them to field a good team.

That said, you can’t explain away the fact that the Phillies are good because they have the money to aquire high priced talent. Sure, Oswalt, Halladay, Pence, ect. were trades, but you can’t make that argument without also acknowledging that they still have to pay those salaries. Salaries that most teams could not afford. Free Agent, Trades, doesn’t really matter. They still bought 3 aces and an all star right fielder.

And since most have probably forgotten about that first paragraph, I’ll repeat that there is NOTHING wrong with trying to buy a championsip.

• deepstblu - Oct 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

The Phillies’ ownership and management had the mentality of a mid-market team at least as late as July 30, 2006, when they salary-dumped Bobby Abreu. They were writing off the season, but a funny thing happened: the team got hot. The fans noticed, and started showing up in greater numbers. The team stayed in contention down to the last weekend, and the owners began thinking they might have something worth building on. So they started letting the payroll rise, and found that each increase sold a lot of tickets (until they hit capacity) and hats and T-shirts.

The big question is, how will they handle the team in the future? Will they believe that having a high payroll is the way to keep the fans interested, even if it means making questionable free agent signings? Or will they eventually say, “Rollins and Utley have gone over the hill–instead of spending millions to sign a couple of good-but-not-great veterans, we’re going to play a couple of kids because we think they have a chance to be really good in the long run, even though right now they might make rookie mistakes that could cost us enough games to miss the playoffs”?

• firedude7160 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

deepstblu
        I like everything you said except one thing: “least as late as July 30, 2006, when they salary-dumped Bobby Abreu.”

I would argue that they did not dump Abreu because he cost to much. They dumped him because he never gave 100% for an entire season, and was far from a team player. He was the exact opposite of what you want from a veteran leader. They finally realized that got rid of him. Once they did that, and the young guys took notes from Aaron Rowand, things took a turn for the better.

• goawaydog - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Its Bicepts fault :)

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Nope…it has been around longer than he has.

• 18thstreet - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM

For me, this comment isn’t that far off. (Though, as a someone living in the DC suburbs married to a Redskins fan, it didn’t take much to get me to root against Philadelphia.) I’d be pretty ambivalent toward them if not for the fans on this site.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

18th Street,
        Who in particular bothers you? Furthermore, what about them bothers you?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Doctor,

I’ll answer that question for you. It’s people like me that they hate that post on this board. Why? Because I thump my chest out for the Phillies and bleed Phillies. Then, when things go bad, I crucify them. Most fans in other cities don’t know what the Philadelphia mentality is like.

I am Joe Common Philadelphia fan. I am an enigma or puzzle to them.

• 18thstreet - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM

No, Biceps: I think I understand you just fine. I just don’t like you. And if I got to know you better, I think I’d like you less.

• 18thstreet - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Quick response to Dr. Monkey, though. When your team starts winning, everyone will hate you. They’ll come up with reasons — you buy the best players! Your fans suck! Your uniforms are ugly — but it’s about the winning. When you stop winning, we won’t hate you.

Mostly, I don’t like fans who take any of it for granted. I was a HUGE Celtics fan growing up in the Larry Bird years. When they lost in the 1987 Finals, I wasn’t even a little upset – it just wasn’t our turn. The natural order of the world was Lakers 83-Celtics 84-Lakers 85-Celtics 86-Lakers 87. Why would 1988 be any different?

Winning’s a blast. But so much can go wrong: mostly, the players age. Grady Little leaves Pedro in too long. Tony Conigliaro can get hit by a pitch. Kenny Lofton can slip. Steven Strassburg needs Tommy John surgery. The Dodgers move to LA, the Colts move to Indianapolis, and the Browns move to Baltimore.

And here’s where I’m a huge hypocrite: it’s not life or death. Just enjoy it. Laugh at the mustaches. Mock teams that wear teal. Find a fat player and make him your favorite. But, for Pete’s sake, don’t flip over a car when your team loses.

• nolanwiffle - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Well said 18thSt…….but damn it, if Lenny Bias lives 1987 turns out much better for the Celts.

• 18thstreet - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

“If” is probably the most important word in sports. I know it well.

• gfly2002 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I’ll bite on this.

I am starting to dislike them because of the blind reverence some of their fans possess. I’m from Toronto so a) I love Halladay, and b) I have to deal with Toronto Maple Leaf fans who insist against all logic that their team is great.

I always liked the Phillies but after reading these comments that are often dominated by Phillies fans who swear Howard is God’s gift to baseball against all logic from those who can stand back and view his weaknesses from afar gets old.

Arguing yesterday against the Pitch FX data was hilarious, I can’t be bothered to see who it was but come on.

I live in Toronto and hate the Leafs because all their fans have blinders on, I think it’s the same with Phillies fans.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Again, I think this is an issue about perception and reality. The fact is this, the player who takes the most amount of shit in this city is Ryan Howard. Bar none. Also, nobody will tell you that he is an elite hitter…but an elite run producer. The argument is more about the validity of the RBI, with Howard being the prime example of that. Hence, it really isn’t about Howard per say, but about valuation of a specific data point. Now, if you want to talk blind acceptance of all that is Chase Utley that is a different story.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Bite on this. You are an idiot and dope. Phillies fans don’t give a rat’s ass what you think. No one ever said Howard isn’t without faults. Phillies fans here don’t have blinders on. We criticize the team to the nth degree when they don’t produce.

• gfly2002 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Biceps – That’s clearly the mature response. Putting that grade 5 education to good use I see.

Dr – well said, thanks. That is the perception at least on these boards but it sounds like what goes on here too.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I was arguing on the PitchFX data and will do it every day of the week. Pitch FX is just a box that is too big on a web page and they plot where the ball supposedly was, not taking into account at all what Hernandez’s strike zone had been and was the other parts of the game. When I watch the game, with my own two eyes, I see the pitch go past the plate and it is above his belt and on the outside of the left of the catcher’s mask. The pitch to Howard was a ball, and Hernandez screwed up. I don’t give a shit what PitchFX says. The 2nd base ump just complicated it further by calling Pence out when he was clearly safe.

But that’s the past. The Phillies have Doc for game 5. If they lose that one, then the Cardinals will have earned the right to go to the NLCS fair and square.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM

gfly2002,

I just thought a little more about what you said about Phillies fans. I came to a realization that I’m not going to argue with someone from Canada that doesn’t have a clue about the Philadelphia fans nor our sports acumen.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

So…let me get this straight—you’re saying that you dislike the Phightins (a team with really no control over just about anything its fanbase say/do/feel) because a segment of the Phanbase (however large or small) “have blinders on” regarding players’ “weaknesses,” and yet the Phans also get blasted for being hypercritical and booing poor performances? Interesting…

• gfly2002 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Hair – A valid question. I suppose hate is a strong word in this case and I might have thrown it out there too arbitrarily.

Let me put it this way:
        After reading the comments of some Philly fans that dominate this board, I would much rather see them lose than see them win. Not their fault, I respect their GM, Victorino served me well in a pool in 2007, I like Halladay, I don’t hate any of their players in real life. However, seeing them lose is still a more enjoyable experience for me. The same way lots of people love to see the Yankees lose.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

gfly2002,

Stick to hockey. Sounds like your mentality isn’t suited to a game like baseball.

• gfly2002 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Actually I prefer stats (short for statistics) so baseball fits me perfectly and hockey is boring. But the stereotype is hilarious, I’m typing this from my ski-doo now while fighting off a polar bear. It’s cold up here.

• sasquash20 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Howard takes more shit then any player in Philly. Personally I think Utley should be getting way more then Howard. What the hell was he thinking going to third last night. His numbers have dropped big time 3 straight seasons. Fact is Howard struggles against lefties. But he still is clutch way more then people give him credit. By far the most important bat on the Phillies during this whole playoff run the last 5 years or so. Howard is a stud run producer, you haters can say what you want but hes the only Philly with 6 straight 30 HR, 100 RBI seasons ever.

• cintiphil - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

It is the Phillies fans that I think are nuts. The team is fine with me.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Lots of reasons, but mostly because they are good and expectations are high. They are now the favorites every year, and as a Yankee fan I can attest to the fact that most people do not want to see the favorite win. They equate it to bullying. Very anti-Atlas Shrugged. Coco Crisp would be disappointed in the commenters…

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

That’s the thing, I don’t dislike the Yankees or Red Sox. I never disliked the regular season dominant Braves teams either…actually, I rather enjoyed watching them pitch, Maddux in particular. It takes more than winning and expectations for me to dislike a team.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM

drmonkeyarmy, you sound like a reasonable person who enjoys the game of baseball, so you are in a distinct minority. Most fans seem to want their team to win, their enemy’s team to lose. In lieu of that, they seem to cheer for David and tell you how small Goliath really is when analyzed from the proper perspective.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

My hate for the Phils has nothing to do with the players, city, fans, uniforms, etc…

I hate the Phils because I am a Braves fan plain and simple.

I hate the Phils, Marlins, Mets, and Nats all the same.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I can understand that and find nothing wrong with that. The Marlins, Braves, and Nats don’t bother me…don’t like the Mets though. However, I can completely see having a blind dislike for ones immediate competition.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Yeah, maybe hate is too strong of a word.

If fact, there are actually some players from those teams that I like quite a bit (Utley, Morse, and others). But then there are also players I respect and loathe at the same time (god damn Victorino always seems to kill us).

But truth is, they are the enemy (in the trivial world of sports). And I damn sure don’t root for them to do well when we are eliminated. Go Cards! :D

10. chadh88 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM

All I can say is I’m a little sick of hearing the local media in St Louis talking about the regular season finale that Carp pitched. Yes he looked great and on a mission, but cold Phillies bats are still better than normal Astro bats.

Also, I understand we have the momentum, but Halladay is no slouch. Yes we have beaten him, but how many teams beat him multiple times in one year. This should be a great game to watch.

Obviously…GO CARDS!!! But I don’t think it is as simple as some here would make it out to be.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

People are making out a Cardinal victory against Halladay to be simple?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Is there a statistic for momentum?

• bigxrob - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I think momentum in baseball is called the next days starting pitcher

11. uyf1950 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM

It looks like that juggernaut that was the Phillies has at least for the moment run into a buzz saw.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Why? Because a 5 game series is going to the 5th game? Did you expect the Phillies to sweep? Geeze, can they lose before everyone starts talking about how disappointing the season was and how the Cardinals were so fabulous?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Chris, just stop nibbling on the bait man. You’re a smarter fish than that I think.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

He can’t help it. :D Let him be. He feeds on this stuff.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Eh, it’s what I do…especially since I don’t have to have my database done until the 19th and have some extra time to kill. I don’t mind getting baited. Especially since uyf is a stinking Yankees fan who is already crapping in his pants because his team is coming home for a game 5 tonight. If the Yankees lose tonight, they will have to close all the bridges in New York and call in the national guard to stop people from jumping.

• uyf1950 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Chris, I didn’t expect anything. But If I recall there was even a piece on NBC sports by Tony DeMarco titled “Can anyone stop a Red Sox-Phils World Series. If that’s not enough here is a headline from the The News Herald dated Aug. 13, 2011 “Baseball notes: The Phillies are baseball’s juggernaut”. I’m sure if you do a search you could find the article.

BTW, I was neither commenting on the Phillies season as a whole or how the Cardinals may or may not be playing. I was only relaying a personal observation as of today based on previous portrayals by some in the sports media of the Phillies.

Obviously you are free to disagree with me as you often do.

• uyf1950 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Chris, it sounds to me from your most recent reply that you are the one overly concerned about the Phillies. You appear to be trying to disguise that frustration by attributing feelings and actions to me concerning the Yankees that are not based on any facts.

BTW, as for the Yankees season win or lose tonight I’ve enjoyed the season the Yankees season. Can you say the same about the Phillies?

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’d be like a really good movie with a shitty ending. Enjoyable yet wholly unfulfilling.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:21 PM

One we’ve seen before to boot. And you all know the old adage about movie sequels… :D

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM

uyf, no that is what separates a fan like me from a fan like you. If the Phillies do not at least get to the World Series then this season is a colossal failure any way you look at it. I did not get much enjoyment from the season because it was a foregone conclusion since mid-March that they were going to win the division. I have waited 6 months for the World Series and if the Phillies aren’t in it, then I will not a miserable bastard for a minimum of 2 days afterward. Unfortunately, the game is a Friday night so I won’t be able to really come on here until Monday to be pissed. By then, my anger will subside some, but then I’ll come here and read the nonsense and get more angry. Then I’ll see ya in February.

And if the Phillies win, then it will just be OK, bring on the Brewers. No celebration…this team should win the NL and if they don’t then it is a failure. Period.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Chris is turning soft—he used to say that it’s a colossal failure if they didn’t win it all, not just make it to the Big Dance (with deference to that spring NCAA thingy).

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Did I really say that? Must have been one of my good days when I wasn’t on enough meds. Today, I am fully medicated and it would not be a failure if they make the World Series. Because the Yankees are a great team. However, if they make it to the World Series and lose to the Rangers…colossal failure. No amount of medication, short of a hammer to the left side of the cranium, is going to change my mind about that.

12. Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I think the Phills will win because of the offense. The offense of the Cards not being able to put up runs on big Roy.

• cintiphil - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM

You have a good attitude, and if you bring that to the game with a lot of cheers and noise, the Phills will respond. The booing turns them off. Remember that. You can’t build confidence in anyone by booing, but by cheering them on.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Roy Halladay sees dead people… and when he does, he strikes them out – sending their spirits back to hell, where they belong.

again, not my work, there are literally thousands of these here

• xmatt0926x - Oct 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM

For the love of god, can we please stop with the “philly fans boo” cliche???? Do you watch any of the Phillies games?? Seriously. Grow up and stop trolling. You wont hear one damn boo at 99% of any Phillies game. Join us in 2011 will you? The booing cliche is about as lame as the cheesesteak garbage. Meanwhile, watch any baseball game in any city when the team is playing poorly and you always have a small percentage of fans booing which is easy to hear when the other 95% of the crowd is just silent when things go bad. Honestly, the philly fan booing thing with the Phillies is so 1995 it’s rediculous. If your going to make judgements about a whole fanbase then at least watch a home game a few times to see if the nonsense your spewing is true. Cliff Lee walked off the other night to an ovation after giving up the lead and the game.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Roy Halladay’s blood type is K.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM

These are awesome, please continue

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Fear itself fears Roy Halladay.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Roy is more powerful than Oprah.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Three things are certainties in life: death, taxes, and Roy Halladay

13. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM

The Phillies’ bats have gone cold

Runs by Game: 11, 4, 3, 3

Hmm, looks pretty good to me. Wonder if it could be another issue:

Runs given up by Game: 6, 5, 2, 5

Yup, definitely the bat’s fault

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Thank You…. Pretty good just isn’t cutting it when the Cards have been getting key hits at key moments. I have a feeling their luck is up for game 5 though. This Ice will cool their bats.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I feel the need….the need for another playoff no-hitter.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

This Ice will cool their bats.

Roy to Lee to Madsen, yeah I definitely wouldn’t look forward to that.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Roy knows his calculus: “You+Me=K”

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Roy Halladay knows how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM

When you open a can of whoop-ass, Roy Halladay jumps out.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

When David Wright goes to bed, he checks under his bed for Roy Halladay.

(yes I’m stealing these)

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM

When Roy passes “Go”, he collects $600 dollars.

• b7p19 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

“When Roy passes “Go”, he collects $600 dollars.”

Just another example of the Phillies trying to buy a championship. Most teams can only afford to give $200 for passing go.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Jonny, I saw your name there, a lot of “wood,” and expected you to be saying something else.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The other night he was talking about something around the ass area.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

A word to the “wise”: Be careful of splinters.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

J5…

From your lips to Roy’s ears.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM

HIS AND HER DIARY FOR THE SAME DAY

Her Diary:

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had

made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner. I was

shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was

upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no

comment on it. Conversation wasn’t flowing, so I suggested

that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk He agreed,

but he didn’t say much. I asked him what was wrong; he

said, ‘Nothing.’ I asked him if it was my fault that he was

upset. He said he wasn’t upset, that it had nothing to do

with me, and not to worry about it. On the way home, I told him that I loved him.

He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can’t explain his behavior;

I don’t know why he didn’t say, ‘I love you, too.’

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as

if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat

there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem

distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I

decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to

bed. But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts

were somewhere else. He fell asleep — I cried.

I don’t know what to do. I’m almost sure that his thoughts

are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

His Diary:

Eagles lost, defense gave up 21 points in the second half

Phillies lost, blew a 4 run lead.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Hey FC, I am an ass man. It is what it is.

14. alang3131982 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM

The Phillies offense is pedestrian – it has been all year and since they got Pence.

just slightly above the league average in run scoring, OBP, and slugging — it’s an average hitting ball club. But that pitching, jinxies

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM

wOBA (not park or league neutralized) – 6th
      wRC (park adjusted) – 5th

• alang3131982 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The Phillies are tied for 13th in wRC+ at 96 (100 is average, therefore the Phillies are below average)…They are tied with the Angels, indians and diamonbacks…

the Cardinal offense, on the othe rhand, is underratedly nasty.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM

You can’t compare NL teams to AL teams due to the DH.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM

6th in the NL or MLB? MLB=pretty good. NL=decidedly average

15. alang3131982 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Well, we’re talking about their offense in the context of baseball. Give them a DH, Mayberry, JR. and they’re still mediocre.

Regardless a 100 wRC+ is average, the Phillies are below that mark, consequently they are below average.

The METS have a better wRC+ than the Phillies.

Also, the Phils have teh 7th best wOBA (behind the Rockies, Cardinals, brewers, Dbacks, mets, and Reds),.

7/16 is barely above mid-way point. And, oh by the way, their wOBA is closer to the 8th and 9th teams than the 6th place team.

the phillies have the 8th most HRs in the NL, 6th best BB%, 8th best ISO, 9th best average.

Find me any number that isnt pedestrain

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Do me a favor, calculate the numbers after the return of Utley. Why I have a problem with some of this stuff, is that they are calculations on the whole (which is generally a good thing) but they team is currently composed differently than they were for a majority of the season. I’m positive that the numbers would favor the offense being better than the numbers above would indicate. You know what, I’m not sure how to find the data, but I will attempt to do so….really not right of me to ask you to do research that I am interested in.

• alang3131982 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Yeah but the numbers also dont include the hypersensitive play-off scenarios, wherein Ryan Howard faces lefties way more than in the regular season. Utley is good, but hit just .259/.344/.425 this year, so i cant imagine that skews the numbers too much.

In addition, we’re comparing their numbers to other teams regular season numbers. What would the Cardinals numbers look like with Pujols/Holliday not getting injured and missing time?

I’d argue that if both the Phils/Cards were healthy, the Cards would get a bigger boost than the Phils.

Not saying the Phils are a bad squad, but the perception that they have a good offense is out of whack with reality. They have decent offensive players in the declines of their careers and not one truly dynamic offensive presence

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Their offense wasn’t what it use to be…more sporadic these days but I think you are wrong in the perception that their offense is good. Maybe because I follow them, but I have the perception that they are decidedly average. A couple days ago, I ran some numbers and discovered that on the only outcome that truly matters (runs scored), that since the date Utley returned they have scored just about as many runs as the Cardinals over that time span. It was within 2-3 runs. That got me thinking that perhaps this offense is slightly better than my perception of it. I agree with you that, on the whole, I don’t think even full strength they have as good of an offense as the Cards but I don’t think they are every bit as good as say the Diamondbacks and Brewers which would put them at above average. Really a meaningless debate centered around semantics but for whatever reason I find it interesting.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

The fact is Utley has skewed the numbers. Look what he’s done in the playoffs. It is what it is.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Still working on it….One thing I have found very interesting is that the Phillies are dead last in the league in BABIP for ground balls.

• alang3131982 - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Agree with your comments above. The offense has its failings, but definitely good enough to win teh world series.

• Gamera the Brave - Oct 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

alang,
        If my Giants could win it all with their crappy offense, the Phils certainly can.
        It’s just a matter of getting hot at the right time.

16. trigzter - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM

As a phils fan, I have no idea how Utley gets left out of conversations. He left much to be desired during the regular season and doesn’t look too much better in the postseason IMO. Right now, I can’t stand Polanco or Howard. I love Howard, but we would all be lighting our torches right now if his two hits weren’t for 6 RBI’s. Im tired of watching shane bat left, even if it’s a better matchup. He hits better from the right so that’s the way I want him to bat. Besides that…if we do advance, I don’t expect to see Oswalt starting again.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

About Shane, he probably hasn’t faced a right handed non-knuckle ball pitcher from the right side of the plate in forever. Not the time to change stuff like that. Utley has been good this post season. Really good actually. 6-13 with 2 doubles and a triple. What more can he do?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM

He may be asking himself the same question.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Well, he can start by not trying for third base when he’ll be sliding that awkwardly as a dead duck.

• cleverbob - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Can he pitch a little middle relief? That would be helpful…

• trigzter - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM

You are right. He is hitting well and I have to give him credit. But his 1 RBI is underwhelming. With the exception of yesterday in the first inning, chase has been leaving Jimmy on 2nd a lot.

• cleverbob - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Everyone knows RBI’s are meaningless…

• trigzter - Oct 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM

thats cool. dont care. Jimmy has been hitting like a monster, often ending up on second. and chase can only drive him in once? drawing walks is cool and all, but it doesnt get Jimmy to 3rd

• gcil - Oct 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Trig,

Um… Are we talking about the Utley who is hitting .400/.538/.600 with a 1.138 OPS in the NLDS? Cause yea..he should be left out of the conversation. He, Rollins, and to an extent Pence, are the only non automatic outs in our lineup right now.

17. capsclothings - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:14 AM

MLB–Philadelphia Phillies 59FIFTY Fitted New Era Hats–http://www.caps-clothings.com/HATS/MLB-Baseball-Hats/Philadelphia-Phillies–hatsampcaps-cl63.html

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4434)