We’ll be live-somethinging tonight’s Tigers-Yankees game, and we’re requesting some feedback

Oct 6, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT

DT Crymes, Shawn Darwin

Early round playoff baseball is fun, but I’d be lying if I said I’m not feeling a little bit of overload at the moment. Maybe it’d be different if I was just taking it all in from the couch with a beer in my hand, but since I have to actually think about the games a bit and be prepared to talk about them the next day, three or four big games in a day can get a bit overwhelming.  Yes, I realize this is a whine for which I should have no sympathy. Please, do not give me any.

The point is that, in light of all of that, I’m more excited than I can imagine for tonight’s Tigers-Yankees game, the only one on the schedule.  It feels like a special day. And I’d say that even if every Yankees and Tigers fan in my Twitter feed wasn’t already barfing from the nerves.

Anyway, I’ll be doing a live blog of it tonight.  Or a chat using the Cover It Live thing.  Not sure which.  Which one would you guys prefer?  I won’t put a up a formal poll or anything — and I reserve the right to change my mind and go against popular sentiment if I feel like it depending on how I feel at 8PM tonight — but I would like some feedback from you all on the live events we’ve been doing.

Sub-question that has some bearing here:  in the live chats, we moderate the comments so as to keep the proceedings from becoming chaotic.  Sometimes we do it more Q&A style, with us only putting up questions or observations to which we respond for all to see. Sometimes, even though we still don’t OK everything you submit, we let a zillion zingers go live in a more stream of consciousness thing.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on those two approaches.  Keep in mind that games ebb and flow and whoever is running a live event will do both things at various times, but any comments or criticisms you have of the way we handle those things are welcome. Also keep in mind that if reader back-and-forth is what you want, live blogs — and their comments sections — work much better for that.

Anyway: fire away.  And thank you for your support.

1. paperlions - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I prefer the blog to the chat….the chat can be too cumbersome if you are mostly watching the game and then pop over to read/make comments.

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Lair Bites:

Craig finished posting his feedback column and looked at the first comment and nearly dropped his bubble pipe. A fan was suggesting Tiffany should do a belly dance in a live stream feed from the Lair in between innings. No. No. One thousand times no! Delete! Delete! Delete!

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Lair Bites #2:

Apparently people want to comment more. Craig made several notes when he spotted another suggestion: Karaoke in the 7th inning stretch? Now how was Craig supposed to organize that over the internet?!?!?

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM

What if we voted on the belly dance?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I will dutifully update the suggestions at the Lair as they come rolling in…

3. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM

It is a tough call. At first, I like the live chats better. But as you said, sometimes it is overly moderated. DJ did a really good job on the Yankees v Tigers game 3 chat. It felt like he was letting most comments through which allowed for a pretty good dialogue. It wasn’t as chaotic as one might expect. The other live chats I participated in weren’t so great. Felt there wasn’t any dialogue because of heavy handed moderation. The live blogs are essentially open threads. Since most people are watching the game, whatever the blogger said was rendered meaningless and I only sporadically read his take on things. However, the communication between the commenters is more open and some time of dialogue can ensue. So, my conclusion is that I would have an open thread without live blogging and a chat. Best of both worlds…just no heavy handed moderation.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I’m with the Dr. on this one. That’s not moderation you’re doing in live chats, it’s almost abstinence.

• lukeslice - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Agreed also…live chat all the way…the game 3 Yanks/Tigers chat was simply scrumtrulescent (and game 4 was painful since it was all comments).

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I agree with the doctor here…when DJ did the live chat during the Yanks-Tigers game the other night, most of the comments were coming through, even the dumb stuff I was saying, so it was better than the chats where only 1 zinger at a time comes through for each pitch. The comments section is OK for work during the day, but when I’m not being paid while I am here, I’d rather have the live chat. :D

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I’m with these guys. DJ & the Live Chat (great band name BTW) was by far the best. It was almost as good as live conversation. Megatron showed up, too. Can’t beat Meagtron. I got the impression the moderator had a better time because he could watch the game and let the rabble mostly talk about the play. His role was to answer specific questions, crack wise and post a score change as it happened. The rest of us were like Stadler & Waldorff. It was great. There be some funny people in these parts….

4. Jonny 5 - Oct 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I like Live Chats, but more comments have to come through for me to like it more than the blog. There should be a comment per 20 seconds at least, if not more. I may not be able to do much during the Phills/ Cards game, but the others I’ll be ready for. I have less emotion crushing the essence of my soul then.

5. dailyrev - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM

the blog’s probably better because MSNBC’s servers are slow, probably under-powered for the load they receive this time of year. They work all right, but they do grind.

and that, my friends, is why IT Sys Admins get $200/hour…If you’re ever looking for a profitable career shift, learn UNIX and get yourself the psychological version of a Kevlar vest. Then you’ll be banking $1500+ per day…

• Lucas - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Well said…IT guy right here, and in 6 more years I’ll be retired from the Navy and getting one of those big-deal jobs. YAY TECHNOLOGY!

• dailyrev - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM

One interesting thing to look for tonight, in the crowd at YS: iPads raised in memoriam.

Geeks like us and tech lovers everywhere wish Steve a joyous crossing to the next dimension of the Cosmic Consciousness.

6. Lucas - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Craig, I hope you do a blog….although I have to refresh a lot, it comes through better with our connectivity as my ship is underway right now (for those who don’t know, I’m a Chief in the Navy).

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:12 AM

A Chief or a Chef? If a Chief, what does that entail?

• Lucas - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM

A Chief…I am one of the Senior Enlisted paygrades in the military. I don’t know if you’re familiar with any of the other Armed Services, but it’s the equivalent to a Gunny Sergeant in the Marines, a Sergeant First Class in the Army or a Master Sergeant/First Sergeant in the Air Force.

We are the bridge between the Enlisted and the Officers, responsible for training both. We are also the Deckplate Leaders, as we’re the group that has the biggest influence on most everything and gets stuff done.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM

So did you help Chief Rybach save the day against Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey in Under Siege?

• dailyrev - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I remember meeting a fellow at work once who told me he’d been a CPO in the Navy. When he explained what a CPO was, I asked him, “what can possibly be petty about being an officer?” He thought that was pretty funny…

7. yankeesfanlen - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I like the blog thing myself, you can back-and-forth with other commenters, the chat is a here-and-gone.
    Having said that, my “receive replies” box is gone, making it more difficult if someone is remarking on my Universal Witticisms.

8. Blausy - Oct 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Live chat, please. The interaction with Craig is more fun that way, rather than leaving a comment on a live blog. And it’s fun to see folks’ reactions to the game in real time.

9. jimbo1949 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I like the living blog myself. It’s more conversational in style, lot of back and forth between us chatters and we’re what it’s all about.

10. bigleagues - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Why not have a Live Blog for the Live Chat?

You do your thing in the Cover It Live side and allow Commenters to free flow on the blog and if they want to ask you a question, bounce over to the Chat.

I have a feeling that you would actually keep more people actively engaged overall that way.

Personally I’m not real big on live chats since 1) they are moderated and 2) you have to sit there waiting and waiting to see if your question/statement gets posted and/or answered.

With the Live Blog – you come and go as you please and address the threads that interest you.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Yes, they should do both. I do not see a reason to not have an open thread and a live chat. Seems like the only reasonable thing to do.

11. Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I can’t guarantee I’ll be there, but I don’t mind the live chat with much less monitoring—but lose the ads. If Craig Orwell can’t lighten the reins on the comments, then I vote for the blog, but can something be done about the page breaks?

12. protectthishouse54 - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I’m also on the blog side. The chat is dumb and just leads me back to pinstripe alley where they have the open thread system. Works nice.

13. texasdawg - Oct 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I vote for Cover It Live. I used to think that format was annoying, but Joey Matches uses it at BBTIA for Rangers games, and it is much better than the SBNation format. It more naturally moves people off of flame wars.

14. RickyB - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Do what you want. I tried blogging and tweeting during games 2 and 3, but didn’t like the result on the field. Stayed off the computer for game 4, and the Yankees won big. I will not be on my computer tonight, despite the fact that I know I’m simply not that important in determining the outcome of the game. Rational thought has gone out the window.

15. Lukehart80 - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I like the Live Chat, I thought the one during the Phillies/Cardinals game the other night was really well done, in terms of how much commentary there was throughout the game. The comments section is still active beneath the Chat screen too, so those of us who want to exchange their comments more directly and be able to get relies from others still can.

I can understand why this isn’t done for every game of the first round, but it really does add to my enjoyment of the games when I’m otherwise watching alone and I hope that once we get to the LCS, there will be a LIve Chat for every game.

16. joshftw - Oct 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I have to work tonight, so I wouldn’t be able to participate in either one (though I am finding some way to watch this game, come hell or high water)
    But I’d just like to say that I always enjoy the live chats here. I find it much more interesting responding and generally being snarky in real time as opposed to leaving comments on posts.

on another note, LET’S GO YANKEES!

17. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, people. Here’s the plan tonight: Gonna go with Cover It Live (chat), but (a) I’ll make sure there are no ads; (b) I’ll be sure to keep it more lively, with more comments being approved than I have been letting through; and (c) anyone who feels like using the comments as an open thread, by all means, go for it.

Thanks

• cur68 - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM

And, um, ….the Tiffany belly dance? That make it in?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Though, I’m sure Seisenta would be okay with Jessica Alba, Tiffany and plaid flannel pajamas, as well.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I’d like a live shot of the lair…with the bubbles slowly rising up to the drop ceiling and the 70″ screen.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5585)