A word about that bandage on Joaquin Benoit’s face

Oct 7, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit pulls a bandage off his face at the request of the New York Yankees during the seventh inning of Game 5 of their MLB American League Division Series baseball playoffs at Yankee Stadium in New York

We had a tense three and a half hour playoff elimination game last night. Some of baseball’s biggest names coming to bat and hurling pitches in clutch situations. Drama. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  And the subject that took up the most real estate in our live chat last night?  That thing on Joaquin Benoit‘s face.

For those who missed it, Benoit came into the game in the seventh inning. On his left cheek: a bandage the size of a pool tarp.  Joe Girardi came out of the dugout and complained about it to the home plate umpire who then made Benoit remove it.  Underneath the bandage was either a giant boil or a zit or Kuato or something. It was quite the scene, man.

On Twitter, in the chat and around the blogosphere this morning I’ve seen references to this being one of Joe Girardi’s mind games.  I’m not buying it.  I could see the bandage from here in Ohio, even when I turned my TV off.  It interfered with the landing pattern at LaGuardia. While the thing under the bandage wasn’t pretty, with the bandage on, Benoit looked like Darkman.

I guess what I’m saying is, no, that wasn’t an instance of Joe Girardi playing mind games. The only thing that would have made the bandage more distracting would be if it was lit with neon. It had to go.

Best part:  He somehow found an even bigger one for the postgame celebration!

source:

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM

If it was Kuato on Benoit’s face, could he have read Giraldi’s mind? Could this be the reason the Yankees lost?

• jwbiii - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Mind reading could help with pitch selection.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM

“Staaaaart the Sabathiaaaaa….freeeee Bronx…..”

*gunshot from Michael Ironsides*

Mr. Steinbrenner would like to see you.

• sandpiperair - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM

See you at the party, Richter!!!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I could have sworn I heard “Chocolate rain” being sung ever so softly…

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Isn’t the hitter supposed to be watching the ball come out of the pitcher’s hand? When does he see the side of the pitcher’s face in that scenario? I don’t get it, but whatever. Like you said, it’s not like it was neon or blinking. What if he had a 4 inch gash and stitches and he couldn’t take it off? Would they have made the Tigers bring in a different pitcher?

Can somebody quote the rule that makes Benoit take off the bandage please? Thanks in advance….

• 3kittymama - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I’m with you, Chris. What in the world is the difference? I think it was Joe Girardi being a typical Yankee jerk. Granted Joaquin could have put a smaller bandage on whatever that is on his face, but come on! But Joaquin had the last laugh, didn’t he? I was so happy to see those crybaby Skankees LOSE!!!! Frankly, they suck. If they can’t win everything, every time, they act like babies about it They just can’t face the fact that there are better teams than they are. And the icing on the cake was to see A-Hole strike out to end it all for them. Sweet!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I am not a Yankee fan, but it should be noted that a 5 game series is not useful in determining the better team. Not saying the Tigers aren’t better than the Yankees, just that they series result shouldn’t be used as evidence that they are. Sample size and whatnot.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM

If they can’t win everything, every time, they act like babies about it

Who’s acting like a baby about it? Or am I just ruining your narrative?

• bblair917 - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Of course you don’t mention that Leyland had the umpire tell Garcia to remove a bracelet during game 2. But that’s being impartial, and clearly not your thing.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM

9.01 (c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:20 AM

….and if Girardi thought Benoit’s goatee was distracting, would he have had to shave it off?

If your hitters are distracted by a bandage on the pitcher’s face, you’ve already lost.

3. spizzjr - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

As a huge Yankee fan who is also a realist (I know it’s a rarity) I understand the Yankees are not always gonna be the best and in response to 3kitty I hope you’re in elementary school because your rant didn’t flow at all

• 3kittymama - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

The only thing you can post is a whine about “flow”? Now you know why we non-Yankee fans think Yankee fans aren’t the brightest lights on the Christmas tree. Why can’t you just show some class and admit that New York blew it and wish the Tigers good luck? A Yankee fan on another site did that, and he looks worlds better than you do.

• brianbowman16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I was rather surprised at the ‘flow’ critique myself
        i must have missed the part where Eminem came out and offered free lessons so as to make the comments section more ‘flowable’ (if he can bitch abiot flow, i can use flowable dammit!)

How was that? Flow-tastic? Did it have the right amount of flow-ness?

4. thecapedbandito - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

So all this time, it would only have taken one umpire to rule that Brian Wilson’s stupid beard is distracting for the nation to finally be free from that whole act? That brings up an interesting question: In that scenario would Brian Wilson choose his beard or baseball?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

They say that everyone fears the beard. So, using this logic, I guess the umpires would be too scared to approach Wilson.

5. cleverbob - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

They should make Brian Wilson shave Kuato’s pubes off his face…

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I didn’t know Kuato had any pubes. I learn something new everyday.

6. Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Did Leyland complain about a Yankee player and his wristband? I thought I heard an announcer mention that it could be just “payback”.

7. mikedi33 - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Cole Hamels pitched for almost a month with a similar bandage on his face during the season and noone complained once.

• leerosenthall - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I was going to point out the same thing. Of course the local Cole-haters called him a pretty-boy pussy for wearing a bandage to “hide a zit.” It turned out he had poison oak all over his body (and a patch on his face) and pitched anyway. Dude gets no respect here. I love Cliff Lee, but if Cole pitched as poorly as Cliff did in Game 2, he would have been run out of Philly. Cliff? Gets a standing ovation from the crowd as he exits the field. SMH

But I might need to change my username to underbenoitsbandage because I find it hard to believe that Band-Aid was more distracting than that THING on his face. But, then again, I didn’t switch over from radio until television until after The Removal, so I should probably disqualify myself from passing judgment. (And honestly, I hardly noticed the THING because I was too busy thinking about plucking that stray gray hair out of Benoit’s beard.)

8. cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Speaking of Benoit’s 2nd head, Craig, what became f the various poll results? I’m curious to see how the voting turned out on such issues as just what was that on Benoit face, the best song for the 7th inning (Ace of Spades, right?), and other trivial trivia that we covered like a 3 inch bandaid in ‘flesh’ tones, last evening.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM

You know I’m born to lose,
      And gambling’s for fools,
      But that’s the way I like it, baby,
      I DON’T WANNA LIVE FOREVER!

9. stichey - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:57 AM

In regards to the larger bandage for the post-game celebration, I’m not doctor, but based upon what I saw during the in-game close-ups, perhaps some alcohol striking and sterilizing the affected surface might have proven beneficial. Just a thought…

10. lukeslice - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Know what I don’t get? Looking at that monstrosity on his face was a helluva lot more distracting than looking at the bandage, wasn’t it???

11. spizzjr - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Obviously they blew it genius we all saw you’re comment had absolutely zero to with the article you just wanted another excuse to bad mouth Yankee fans your the dumb ass sweetheart not me

• lukeslice - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM

hahhahaha priceless…calling someone a genius while misusing your/you’re TWICE in the same sentence. ladies and gentlemen…the internet!

12. spizzjr - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Oh and p.s. There was only one team better than the Yankees and they’re in the national league

• brianbowman16 - Oct 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Well of COURSE there’s only one team better than the Yankees!
      You are talking about the mighty Phightin Phils right?

You of course meant better at packing their bags and heading to Mexico for vacation right??

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3651)