Oct 7, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
The Cardinals have brought out the big guns at Busch Stadium.
We’re talking peanut butter, gated traps and underground mines in the outfield.
Faced with a public safety crisis after a squirrel ran across the field during Wednesday’s Game 4, Cardinals groundskeeper will do whatever it takes to keep the residents of St. Louis safe.
And that means keeping people out of Busch Stadium for the moment.
“Apparently the crowd fired him up,” head groundskeeper Bill Findley told ESPN.com.
To this point, the squirrel has eluded all seven of Findley’s traps. That hardly has him down, though. Findley and his assistant have been monitoring the squirrel’s behavior in an attempt to better understand what’s driving it. Earlier this week, they caught it burying a peanut in the outfield:
“He dug out the sand,” Findley said, “put the peanut in and actually took the grass clippings and covered it back up.”
So, fear not. With Findley on the case, the good residents of Missouri can expect a breakthrough in the coming days.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)