Oct 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
The fact that Delmon Young‘s health will have an impact on who will represent the American League in the World Series this year is one of those things that didn’t seem all that plausible back in July. Just one of the many reasons to love baseball. But it will have an impact, and given that he strained an oblique last night, it could be negative.
Right now, it’s still unclear if Young will play in the ALCS. When asked after the game last night he said “I don’t know.” Jim Leyland is unsure too. He’ll be re-evaluated today.
Young went 6 for 19 with three homers in the ALDS, including one in the first inning of last night’s game that proved critical. If he can’t go, Ryan Raburn will get the starts. Which, over the course of 162 games may not be a big deal. But Young is hot right now, so the injury is certainly not welcome.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)