Oct 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
The fact that Delmon Young‘s health will have an impact on who will represent the American League in the World Series this year is one of those things that didn’t seem all that plausible back in July. Just one of the many reasons to love baseball. But it will have an impact, and given that he strained an oblique last night, it could be negative.
Right now, it’s still unclear if Young will play in the ALCS. When asked after the game last night he said “I don’t know.” Jim Leyland is unsure too. He’ll be re-evaluated today.
Young went 6 for 19 with three homers in the ALDS, including one in the first inning of last night’s game that proved critical. If he can’t go, Ryan Raburn will get the starts. Which, over the course of 162 games may not be a big deal. But Young is hot right now, so the injury is certainly not welcome.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)