Oct 7, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
The fact that Delmon Young‘s health will have an impact on who will represent the American League in the World Series this year is one of those things that didn’t seem all that plausible back in July. Just one of the many reasons to love baseball. But it will have an impact, and given that he strained an oblique last night, it could be negative.
Right now, it’s still unclear if Young will play in the ALCS. When asked after the game last night he said “I don’t know.” Jim Leyland is unsure too. He’ll be re-evaluated today.
Young went 6 for 19 with three homers in the ALDS, including one in the first inning of last night’s game that proved critical. If he can’t go, Ryan Raburn will get the starts. Which, over the course of 162 games may not be a big deal. But Young is hot right now, so the injury is certainly not welcome.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)