Enjoy your Joe West-less and Angel Hernandez-free LCSs

Oct 7, 2011, 5:50 PM EST

Terry Francona, Joe West, Angel Hernandez AP

The umpiring crews for the League Championship Series have been announced, and as prescribed, Joe West and Angel Hernandez will get a welcome respite.

ALCS: Tim Welke (crew chief), Larry Vanover, Jim Wolf, Fieldin Culbreth, Jeff Nelson and Tom Hallion

NLCS: Gary Darling (crew chief), Tim Timmons, Sam Holbrook, Mike Everitt, Bill Miller and Mike Winters

Umpires cannot work consecutive postseason series, so it was already a given that West and Hernandez, both of whom have worked LDS games, would have next week off. We’ll have a better idea how MLB rates its umps when the World Series crew is announced.

For what it’s worth, last year’s World Series crew was similar to this year’s NLCS crew: Gary Darling, Sam Holbrook, Bill Miller and Mike Winters also worked that one and were joined by John Hirschbeck and Jeff Kellogg.

1. firedude7160 - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I think I speak for all baseball fans when I say- Thank God!

2. Panda Claus - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Then they’ll be well-rested for the World Series!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I hope that they are sent out to pasture permanently.

3. RedHeadedBastard - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

The less of Joe West is the best.

4. halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, I hear Cowboy Joe is going on vacation with some of the Boston pitchers and getting loaded on Bourbon Street.

5. kingjoe1 - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM

This is great news for the fans of the teams in the LS. Those two really feel the game is about them. Congratulations Joe Torre.

6. deathmonkey41 - Oct 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I hear Joe West is unavailable because he’s out on medical leave. He’s getting a chin-lift, but the doctor’s are having a hard time figuring out how to get a crane in the operating room.

7. purnellmeagrejr - Oct 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

But those guys are the only reason I watch the games!

1. J. Santana (2669)