Oct 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
As we speak, it is in the upper 70s in Milwaukee. At game time this afternoon it will be around 76 degrees. The skies are as clear as a bell. It should remain gorgeous throughout the evening. Indeed, the Milwaukee weather is expected to be spectacular though at least next Wednesday.
So naturally baseball has decreed that the retractable roof at Miller Park be closed for this afternoon’s deciding Game 5 between the Brewers and the Dbacks.
According to Tom Haudricourt, baseball says it must be so because they want conditions to be “consistent with the first four games” of the series. Because that’s what baseball is all about. Absolutely no weather, sunshine, breezes or variances of any kind. If God had expected baseball games to be played to the open air He wouldn’t have created domes. And no, those giant motors that retract the roof at Miller Park are not His creations. They were forged in the fires of Hades.
I’m sorry, but can anyone provide me with anything approaching a rational explanation here? MLB? If you have a better statement than “we want the conditions to be the same,” I’ll run it. Preferably one that would hold up if, say, the Brewers had played their road games someplace besides Arizona.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)