Oct 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
As we speak, it is in the upper 70s in Milwaukee. At game time this afternoon it will be around 76 degrees. The skies are as clear as a bell. It should remain gorgeous throughout the evening. Indeed, the Milwaukee weather is expected to be spectacular though at least next Wednesday.
So naturally baseball has decreed that the retractable roof at Miller Park be closed for this afternoon’s deciding Game 5 between the Brewers and the Dbacks.
According to Tom Haudricourt, baseball says it must be so because they want conditions to be “consistent with the first four games” of the series. Because that’s what baseball is all about. Absolutely no weather, sunshine, breezes or variances of any kind. If God had expected baseball games to be played to the open air He wouldn’t have created domes. And no, those giant motors that retract the roof at Miller Park are not His creations. They were forged in the fires of Hades.
I’m sorry, but can anyone provide me with anything approaching a rational explanation here? MLB? If you have a better statement than “we want the conditions to be the same,” I’ll run it. Preferably one that would hold up if, say, the Brewers had played their road games someplace besides Arizona.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)