Oct 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
As we speak, it is in the upper 70s in Milwaukee. At game time this afternoon it will be around 76 degrees. The skies are as clear as a bell. It should remain gorgeous throughout the evening. Indeed, the Milwaukee weather is expected to be spectacular though at least next Wednesday.
So naturally baseball has decreed that the retractable roof at Miller Park be closed for this afternoon’s deciding Game 5 between the Brewers and the Dbacks.
According to Tom Haudricourt, baseball says it must be so because they want conditions to be “consistent with the first four games” of the series. Because that’s what baseball is all about. Absolutely no weather, sunshine, breezes or variances of any kind. If God had expected baseball games to be played to the open air He wouldn’t have created domes. And no, those giant motors that retract the roof at Miller Park are not His creations. They were forged in the fires of Hades.
I’m sorry, but can anyone provide me with anything approaching a rational explanation here? MLB? If you have a better statement than “we want the conditions to be the same,” I’ll run it. Preferably one that would hold up if, say, the Brewers had played their road games someplace besides Arizona.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)