Oct 7, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Last month there were reports that the Mets wanted a quick decision from Jose Reyes, but yesterday the free agent shortstop told Nick Klopsis of New York Newsday that the two sides haven’t even started contract talks.
“They’ll probably start up within the next few days, but right now everything is quiet,” Reyes said, reiterating that he’d like to re-sign with the Mets while adding that “this is a business and we just need to wait and see what happens.”
From now until five days after the World Series the Mets are the only team able to negotiate with Reyes, but the fact that they haven’t reached out to him yet is ultimately pretty meaningless. There’s almost zero chance of Reyes re-signing before hitting the open market, so while getting the ball rolling on negotiations may have some value it won’t keep the Mets from having to out-bid a bunch of other teams for him once the offers start flying.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 86
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 149
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)