Report: Dale Sveum on the Red Sox’ list of potential managers

Oct 7, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers Photo Day Getty Images

Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports this morning that Dale Sveum, who coached for the Sox back when they won the title in 2004, is on Boston’s list of candidates to replace Terry Francona as manager.

Interesting. On the one hand, Sveum wasn’t too popular with the fans when he left after the 2005 season, having been accused of being way too eager to send runners home while manning the third base coach’s box.  On the other hand, in that press conference I mentioned this morning, Sox’ owner John Henry said that he would likely look for a “player’s manager” who could relate with the guys in the clubhouse. Sveum currently coaches for the Brewers, who are, generally speaking, thought to have a player-friendly atmosphere, not unlike the kind that exists in Boston.

I imagine a lot of names will spin out in the coming weeks, but this one was somewhat surprising to me.  Not good, not bad, just surprising.

1. Erik Klemetti - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM

“Way ‘em Home” Sveum!

2. halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM

“John Henry said that he would likely look for a “player’s manager” who could relate with the guys in the clubhouse.”

So I guess they are looking for someone who could be their drinking buddy.

3. proudlycanadian - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM

A lot of names will be floated, and one of them will be hired. I find it interesting that a lot of the leaks that appear in the Boston sports media are often accurate. Management in Toronto does not leak anything if they can help it, yet the Boston media was the best source of information last season about Toronto’s search for a new manager.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

No offense, but the media in Toronto doesn’t exactly seem to be too in-depth with their reporting. I went to the Toronto Sun this morning to see what they were writing about Halladay in game 5 yesterday and did see an article of quotes from different players/managers of Doc’s. And that was it. I wasn’t too impressed with other sports coverage I saw on the site, either.

4. dlindstedt2 - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Dear god, make it happen. Get him out of a brewers uniform.

5. whiskeybarrel - Oct 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Why not go all out and hire wendell kim as the bench coach? It would be a riot to watch those two in the dugout as a guy rounds 2nd base.

6. bobwsc - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM

makes sense: bring in another player’s manager that they quickly lose respect for.

7. wendell7 - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I’m hoping for Varitek to be named player / manager

8. 24missed - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I’d like to be manager and give those that need be a good kick in the a$$.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3083)