Report: Rangers to make big run at Yu Darvish

Oct 7, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT

Yu Darvish AP

USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale tweets the following:

Rival teams are predicting that the Rangers will be the winners in the [Yu] Darvish derby, with every scout predicting stardom.

It’s certainly an interesting thought. Once the posting fee is factored in, Darvish figures to be about as expensive as the Rangers’ own free-agent-to-be, C.J. Wilson, and if that’s the case, one wonders if Texas would truly gamble on the unknown over the known. Judging by his success in Japan and his legitimate major league arsenal, Darvish should be even better than Wilson. However, the transition from pitching once a week to once every five days could be a stumbling block, much as it seemed to be for Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Anyway, it should be fascinating to watch. The Yankees and Red Sox, having lost big on Japanese starters in the past, could value Wilson over Darvish while Wilson’s own team puts Darvish on a pedestal.

1. spookymilk - Oct 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I’ve followed Darvish since the last WBC. I’d rather he signed with my own team, but I could live with this.

• ramrene - Oct 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

You guys who think he’s just “another” japanese pitcher have got it wrong. This kid is a monster and there’s no doubt he’ll be successful in MLB. Anyone who saw him pitch in Los Angeles and have his way with the USA lineup in the World Baseball Classic will attest to it. He came in in the 9th and faced 4 batters (Jeter, Rollins, Wright, & Dunn) striking out 2 (Wright & Dunn). The kid has been the best pitcher in Japan for the last several years and is the real goods and will be the best Japanese pitcher the US has seen.

2. deathmonkey41 - Oct 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I hope the Yankees have learned their lesson with Japanese pitchers.

• Panda Claus - Oct 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Yeah, but have the Red Sox?

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM

If they haven’t, they should both be given a time out.

• pisano - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM

deathmonkey41….I hope all these greedy owners have learned their lessons with these pitchers. They just don’t hold up to MLB conditions.

3. proudlycanadian - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM

He isn’t very old and does not seem to have similar personality to Irabu or Matsuzaka. The Jays appear to be very interested.

• pisano - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM

proudly…. No offense to the Jays, but I’d rather see them get him rather than the Yankees.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Me too.

4. Gordon - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM

He’ll be a bust. You heard it here twentieth.

5. minnesota32 - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Which japanese players have came to the US and been successful other than ichiro and hideki matsui?

• andrebeingandre16 - Oct 7, 2011 at 10:59 PM

kuroda and saito.

• okr1st - Oct 8, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Nomo, Sasaki, Otsuka, Okajima

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Kurda is 5 games under .500 for his career. He’s not a bad pitcher, but not great. I think he was talking about the bigger, high profile Japanese players that were supposed to be Hall of Famers.

6. uyf1950 - Oct 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Imagine you are CJ Wilson’s agent and you see the Rangers throw approximately $100M at Darvish between a posting fee and a 5 year deal. If I’m Wilson’s agent I’m looking for more then that from the Rangers. Considering Wilson has ML experience and a track record, Darvish has none of that. This could backfire on the Rangers unless they figure on losing Wilson anyway.

7. minnesota32 - Oct 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Thank you deathmonkey for clarifying what i meant. I wasn’t trying to take any shots I was just asking.

8. kbeau19 - Oct 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM

whoever believes cj Wilson would even think about leaving the rangers is completely dumb cj will remain a ranger he plays the game to play it not like a rod or any other big buck players

9. dafixisin - Oct 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I don’t think that anybody should underestimate the Seattle Mariners as serious players for Darvish as well.

While the Japanese segment of the ownership group has remained largely silent throughout their entire tenure, Darvish would represent a huge prize to them, strictly from a status viewpoint. As a Japanese guy myself, I can’t adequately put into words what is meant by status, as it would pertain to being Japanese, but trust me, there’s no way that the M’s aren’t going to be involved in the bidding for his services. Sure, there are budgetary concerns, but my gut is that Nintendo Corp. will be footing the bill as far as the posting fee is concerned.

Ichiro can’t play forever, and the Mariners are a huge brand in Japan, primarily because of Ichiro and the Japanese ownership segment of this team. Darvish would be the right guy to pass the torch to, and oh, he also happens to be the biggest sports icon in Japanese baseball since Ichiro.

If he posts, trust me, the M’s are gonna be serious contenders for his services. This could get outta control.

• uyf1950 - Oct 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I understand where you are coming from. But why in the world would the Mariners invest potentially $100M in 1 pitcher. It’s offense they need not pitching. That is unless they are more interested in their PR abroad than winning a major league championship. It really makes no sense for them to load up on pitching and ignore offense. If the Phillies series taught us anything you need offense to compliment good pitching. And right now the Mariners don’t have any offense.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2484)