Oct 7, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale tweets the following:
Rival teams are predicting that the Rangers will be the winners in the [Yu] Darvish derby, with every scout predicting stardom.
It’s certainly an interesting thought. Once the posting fee is factored in, Darvish figures to be about as expensive as the Rangers’ own free-agent-to-be, C.J. Wilson, and if that’s the case, one wonders if Texas would truly gamble on the unknown over the known. Judging by his success in Japan and his legitimate major league arsenal, Darvish should be even better than Wilson. However, the transition from pitching once a week to once every five days could be a stumbling block, much as it seemed to be for Daisuke Matsuzaka.
Anyway, it should be fascinating to watch. The Yankees and Red Sox, having lost big on Japanese starters in the past, could value Wilson over Darvish while Wilson’s own team puts Darvish on a pedestal.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)