Oct 7, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale tweets the following:
Rival teams are predicting that the Rangers will be the winners in the [Yu] Darvish derby, with every scout predicting stardom.
It’s certainly an interesting thought. Once the posting fee is factored in, Darvish figures to be about as expensive as the Rangers’ own free-agent-to-be, C.J. Wilson, and if that’s the case, one wonders if Texas would truly gamble on the unknown over the known. Judging by his success in Japan and his legitimate major league arsenal, Darvish should be even better than Wilson. However, the transition from pitching once a week to once every five days could be a stumbling block, much as it seemed to be for Daisuke Matsuzaka.
Anyway, it should be fascinating to watch. The Yankees and Red Sox, having lost big on Japanese starters in the past, could value Wilson over Darvish while Wilson’s own team puts Darvish on a pedestal.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)