Oct 7, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale tweets the following:
Rival teams are predicting that the Rangers will be the winners in the [Yu] Darvish derby, with every scout predicting stardom.
It’s certainly an interesting thought. Once the posting fee is factored in, Darvish figures to be about as expensive as the Rangers’ own free-agent-to-be, C.J. Wilson, and if that’s the case, one wonders if Texas would truly gamble on the unknown over the known. Judging by his success in Japan and his legitimate major league arsenal, Darvish should be even better than Wilson. However, the transition from pitching once a week to once every five days could be a stumbling block, much as it seemed to be for Daisuke Matsuzaka.
Anyway, it should be fascinating to watch. The Yankees and Red Sox, having lost big on Japanese starters in the past, could value Wilson over Darvish while Wilson’s own team puts Darvish on a pedestal.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)