Roy Halladay on five days’ rest? Yeah, the Phillies gotta be favored

Oct 7, 2011, 1:00 PM EST

Roy Halladay

I want the record to reflect that I have not trolled Philly fans all day. As a 1990s Braves fan I learned the hard way that awesome rotations aren’t always enough and that six months of brilliance can be erased pretty damn quickly once your depth advantage is reduced due to the nature of playoff baseball. It stinks, but it’s baseball life.

Now, don’t mistake my lack of trolling Philly fans for me rooting for them or something.  I mean, I’m not rooting against them either, but it would certainly make life more interesting around here if Philly lost.  After being informed by so many that the season should have just been suspended and the Phillies named World Series champs the day after the Cliff Lee signing I would certainly look forward to the post-NLDS loss spin should it occur.

That may be academic though.  Why? Because for all of the issues with the offense recently and the anything can happen nature of an elimination game, I keep coming back to one thing. Or one man, really: Roy Halladay. He pitches tonight. And he’s pretty much God when he gets five days of rest, which is what he has now.  Here’s Corey Seidman over at Phillies Nation:

Halladay has made 84 career starts on five days rest. He has a .714 winning percentage in those games and an ERA (2.59) almost one full run better than on normal rest (3.42). An extra-rested Halladay has held opponents to a batting average 22 points lower than usual and a slugging percentage 44 points lower. In such games, his opponents’ OPS is 15 percent worse.

You can’t predict baseball. Especially not playoff baseball.  But for the Cardinals to overcome that tonight, they’re going to have to play out of their minds.

1. aceshigh11 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Those are some pretty amazing stats.

You’ve gotta like the Phils’ chances after reading that.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM

The only stat that matters tonight is how many runs can the Phillies score. Because you can’t win if your team doesn’t score no matter how many zeroes you put up there. There’s a reason pitcher wins isn’t a good stat…I am just hoping tonight doesn’t become an example of that.

• channingtaintum - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Agreed, they need to get after Carpenter right away before he finds his groove. Good luck to the Phils from a Brewers fan.

• seanmk - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

though to be fair the phillies have scored at least three runs in every game thus far in the post season 11 4 3 3.

• phukyouk - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Really? as a Brewers fan wouldn’t you much rather see the Phils lose so that you have home field for the next two rounds?

• channingtaintum - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM

When it comes to Brewers-Cards, home-field is really a wash-out, there’s a lot of bad blood between the teams, not to mention the media attention from that bad blood would be more of a distraction to the Crew than the Birds.

The Brewers-Phils, on the other hand, showed nothing but class and respect to each other all season long, and I actually like the match-ups for a 7 game series.

And as a fan of baseball in general, Victorino and the Doc are a lot of fun to watch.

• thevandalen - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Halladay went 10-3 after a Philllies loss this year – but 9-1 in those situations after mid-May.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Hey Jayson Stark’s twitter feed…how ya doing :D

• thevandalen - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Keeping busy… droppin’ useless win/loss stats :P

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM

If Doc retires the first 6 Cardinals tonight, is that a “Tiger Perfect Game”, similar to the “Tiger Slam”?

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing! You can bet darn well the announcers will say it!

Oh wait….is it Dick Stockton again? Scratch that. The most insight we will get will be “And for the Phillies, that is now the 2nd inning in a row in which they have not allowed a run. So for a team that was looking to not allow runs, the Phillies have certainly done that…..so far…here….this evening”

• b7p19 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Wow, I just said that in my head using my best Dick Stockton voice and it…was…perfect.

3. stoutfiles - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Eh, 7 innings of 2 run ball. Great, but not unbeatable…especially with the Phillies bats going cold right now. Tonight will be a close one.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Agree. Doc can do his job, have a great game and give up 2 over 8 innings and it may not be enough if the Phillies bats can’t touch Carpenter. Damn my insecurities!!!!! Craig has somehow tricked yet another Phillies fan into revealing his overwhelming insecurities!!!! He’s a devious bastard!!! In all seriousness, unless Carpenter totally implodes for some strange reason it should be a nail biter all night that could go either way. I can’t see either team being favored by much.

4. kycardsfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

keep counting the cards out

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Yeah…exactly what I was thinking KY. The Cardinals have been playing playoff Baseball for the last 1 1/2 Months. Carp has to throw darts and the offense has to stay hot. The best way to do that against Halladay (in my opinion) is to come out swinging cause’ you know he is gonna’ try to get ahead against everyone (as all good pitchers do). Fear the Squirrel!

5. seanmk - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

a reverse jinx! ahhhh Calcaterra never change.

6. kvanhorn87 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I find this a way for Craig to put out the hex. A little reverse rooting. Nice play bravo mush, nice play indeed.

7. lampe21 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Big game big time pitcher only question who’s going to come thru with the big time bat

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I’ll guess Berkman….maybe Craig as a pinch hitter :-D

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I was thinking AP was due after going O-fer last game. Time for Jon Jay to get hot too. With the way Freese swung the stick last game..I wouldn’t be surprised to see him keep it going.

8. paulsdamnblog - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Just win damnit just win.

9. cardsfanindelaware - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

So would I be wrong to say that Craig rides whoever’s bandwagon is winning in the NL East?? Braves fan then all of a sudden a Phillies fan stuck in the closet??

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Fellow Delawarean, Craig has been called many, many things. I have to vouce for him here though – a closet Phillies fan he is not.

Soooo….I have to know….did you move here from Missouri or something?

• cardsfanindelaware - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Yup, born in the Lou, raised in Busch Stadium II and Quincy IL and moved out here (against my wishes) in ’88.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Come on now! This state’s a nice place….I wasn’t born here either, but Buffalo has no MLB team

• Phillies Homer - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Delaware… the place to be nobody!

So, long as you’re in New Castle County it’s a nice place… But, if you’re in Kent or Sussex that, well, sucks!!

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I am in NCC, which really is no different then S.E. PA, yet for some reason is percived differently

10. thefalcon123 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM

What does Halladay do with TWO additional days of rest? I’d really like to find that out and suggest the Phillies attempt to find that out by not starting him tonight.

Signed,

A Cardinals Fan.

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Agreed. Personally, I’d like to see what Oswalt can do on 1 day of rest.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Roy Halladay is like God, but Roy only has one commandment that the batters follow: “Thou shall not hit”

• Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I think Roy Halladay is the only man on earth who can strike out the beard of Chuck Norris.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Chipper Jones compares Roy Halladay to Roger Clemens. But Roy doesn’t need steroids to improve himself. That’s what his cutter is for.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Roy Halladay makes Chuck Norris look like Chuck Knoblauch.

12. cardsfanindelaware - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM

The picture of the Cardinals squirrel is awesome!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Is there a website out there with predictions on the NLDS series? Because I didn’t read many, but the few that I read did not have the Phillies sweeping the Cardinals, as this author says “everybody called a sweep”.

• xmatt0926x - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM

That’s just the party line from every surprise team or underdog. The “nobody picked us to win anything!!” drivel is as standard as the “it’s us against the world! Nobody is showing us respect” line that every underdog team that wins a few games in the playoffs spews each and every year in every sport. If anything, i’d say that at least in Philadelphia, the prevailing theory was that the Phillies might have signed their death warrant when they swept the braves out of the playoffs and let the Cards in. As Craig has mentioned, anything can happen especially in the best of 5 first round when the other team has at least 2 good to great starters and a good offense. So please Cardinals fans, stop the “everyone said the Phillies would sweeo us” nonsense.

13. dmccarrie - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

If the Phillies get up 4-0 in this one Roy, The Phillies Gloves and Jerry Meals will nto be giving this game away.

14. cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Pride of the Toronto Blue Jays, right there. If you gotta ride a horse, then that right there is the horse.

Watch for Tony LaRussa to get his gamesmanship on. Will he pull a Leyland and praise Harry LeRoy Halladay III, just to get in his head? Just to mess with him? S’what I’d do. Will he send in the ponies again? Worked the last time, certainly on Victorino, it did. Perhaps another rodent? What does TLR have up his noisome sleeve?

The other side of the coin; does Harry LeRoy Halladay III have any more Julius Caesar for us? Quoting Shakespeare brought out the bada$$ in that lad last time he pitched. Gotta go with what works. If Cliffy Phipher and Little Roy Edward had gone with the Shakespeare Philly’d be resting on their laurels right now, but no; they broke the chain. And now? Well, to quote the the great General; Alea jacta est.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Nobody dares mentions Roy Halladay’s full name. It is said if one does, the “7 Biblical Plagues” fall upon him.

• spudchukar - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Harry LeRoy Halladay, ain’t afraid of no stinkin’ plagues.

• cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Harry LeRoy Halladay III IS the plague, yo.

15. halladaysbiceps - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Speaking as his biceps, I can assure the Phillies fans that I am well rested and strong. No need to worry. I’m flexing better than ever.

“I came to bury Caesar, not praise him.” — Roy Halladay

16. natstowngreg - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

And why, pray tell, were you not trolling Philles fans? Isn’t that part of your job description?

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM

No, of course it isn’t…..just like hits to his page don’t affect his salary.

We know both of these are true, he says it all the time

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM

If he were to troll Phillies and Yankees fans in the same day, the hamsters that are powering the servers at NBC may all die of exhaustion.

• natstowngreg - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Then the hamsters would have died for a noble cause, and I would mourn them.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

This is one Nats fan I can always get along with…

• cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Hamsters, like a stud…

• xmatt0926x - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Don’t worry. If the Phillies lose Craig will be as happy as a sailor in a whorehouse and will be doing nothing but trolling for the next 5 months. He will deploy his most wicked and mysterious talents to draw out our insecurities if we don’t show total arrogance and he will draw out our arrogant ways if we don’t show the least bit of insecurity. He’s a puppet master he is…..an eveil puppet master.

• natstowngreg - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Tormenting Phillies fans? Doesn’t sound all that evil.

17. thecapedbandito - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM

At first it really bothered me that Halladay is reportedly best friends with a d-bag like Chris Carpenter. But then it all became so clear to me…Having the power to see into the future, a young Roy Halladay while on the Blue Jays “befriended” teammate Chris Carpenter. Knowing that roughly a decade later he and his “friend” would be facing off in a monumental Game 5, Roy Halladay engaged Carpenter in hours and hours of conversations on pitching. The whole time Roy Halladay was taking copious notes and storing them away in the part of his brain that stores baseball information (roughly 80% of Roy Halladay’s brain). He now knew all of Carpenter’s tendencies, what rattled him, etc (meanwhile, Halladay fed him lies and bad advice so that Carpenter would have nothing on him). Now after suffering through 10 years of having to pretend to be Carpenter’s “friend”, it will all pay off tonight. The only question is will he trust that his Phillies teammates can take this information and score runs or will he take matters into his own hands? I say the latter, which is why I predict 3 HRs tonight for Big Roy.

This is the only logical explanation of the “friendship” right?

18. spudchukar - Oct 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM

“Out of their minds” is a little hyperbolic there Craig. I admit defeating Halladay will be tough, but we have quite a competitor of our own on the hill. A .714 means he loses more than 1 out of 4 and a 2.59 ERA indicates he averages over 2 runs a game. Neither of those stats should be that intimidating. Carpenter also sports a .714 Post-Season W-L record with a 3.39 ERA.

The Phightens have the advantage clearly, but that has been so from the get-go, and no one on the visitor side of the diamond will be overwhelmed.

Good Luck to the Phils and their Phans, may the team that plays the best tonight move on.

19. Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Craig, How could you not be rooting for the Phillies? I mean the chance to be able to troll the fans for another series has to be something to look forward to for you. It must be. As everyone knows, i’m a Phills fan and I even look forward to it. Man I love the smack talk, I really do. With that said, I guess it is tough to root for the division rival, but wouldn’t you rather sit back and say to the rest of baseball ” See you didn’t have to play the WS champs all season, the Braves aren’t exactly choke artists, they just got worn down from playing the champs.”

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM

The opportunities to troll Philly fans don’t go away because the Phillies are out of it….Craig could come up with several “boy, I bet the Phillies wish they had this matchup with the Brewers/ Dbacks” angles.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM

LOL!!! Ok, you got me there PL.

The Cards are hot, and they aren’t going out without a fight. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that regardless of the Good Doctor, my nerves are worked up about tonight.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM

If a baiting post is posted when the Phillies are eliminated, and no Phillies fans are around to hear it, will it make any sound?

• cur68 - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM

So, in other words, what is the sound if one troll hand clapping?

It is the sound of the wind, my friend…

and, of course,

who has seen the wind? Neither I nor you…
        -Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830–1894)

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Man up and vanished like a fart in the wind!

– Warden Samuel Norton

• spudchukar - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

If no Phillie Phans are around to hear baiting, Nirvana has already been achieved, and koans become yesterday’s exercises.

20. bowltr - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Halladay will lose tonight. He and Lee are members of the overrated/choke club. Just watch………Cards will advance and Halladay will find a way to lose.

• bowltr - Oct 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Sucks being right all the time. Nice job Roy, Cliff and the rest of the Phils. Choke again! No shocka there!

21. xmatt0926x - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Despite Craig’s constant smack talk, he secretly dreads the chance that the Phillies will fade into obscurity in a couple years and he’s left with a few fans of a handful of teams chatting about what celebrities A-rod and Jeter are tapping at the moment.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

You forgot that they would also be talking about xFIP, VORP, the latest formula for WAR and the fact that the new Marlins logo is horrendous.

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Psssst, no one has used VORP for years…..please replace with wOBA, thanks. :-)

22. cintiphil - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Personally, I think it is a lock. I already have my money on the Philthy’s. Halladay is going to be too much.

23. foreverchipper10 - Oct 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Two playoff games today yet the rooting interest is the same: Let’s go NL Central!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4420)
  2. M. Kemp (3579)
  3. M. Cabrera (2850)
  4. M. Morse (2522)
  5. J. Kang (2337)
  1. J. Upton (2332)
  2. C. Headley (2132)
  3. A. Rios (2090)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1782)
  5. J. Peavy (1780)